back to article GCHQ: The uncensored story of Britain's most secret intelligence agency

If information indeed is power, then GCHQ is undoubtedly the closest thing the British government has to the Death Star. As the historian Richard J Aldrich notes in the introduction to his excellent new history of the Cheltenham-based agency it represents by far our largest, most expensive, most productive - and yet most secret …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Look forward to getting this

And winding a couple of my friends up by showing them it.

One advantage of having mates that work for GCHQ :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

:FACEPALM:

Your friends must realy love you then Simon.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is all very well.

But why tell everyone?

3. whitespacephil

Holiday reading

I don't normally do books, but as it's coming up to summer and there might be a beach with my name on it, why not?

I'll have one of those, please.

4. Blue eyed boy
    Thumb Up

ZYXEZ ISROF ENOSI HTYRT

QJXWO NEREH TBOJA ROFYP PLA KO OBEHT DAERT SUJTN ODTUB SNOIT ALUTA RGNOC

1. Josco

What?

57 68 61 74 20 74 68 65 20 63 68 75 66 66 20 69 73 20 68 65 20 6f 6e 20 61 62 6f 75 74 3f

1. Charlie Oscar

best gues

Best guess is a letter shift of some kind, but with out a starting point its tough to beat

2. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
        Thumb Up

but inquiring Yanks want to know...

WTF is "chuff" in this context?

3. Blue eyed boy
        Happy

@What?

Quite chuffed to have deciphered that one.

4. Alan Firminger

But

Why the modesty ?

2. Daniel B.
      Happy

Vonderful!

So, you found ze Enigma machine!

Alan Turing will be reading your message in 2 hours, tops.

1. Adam Reader
        FAIL

Adam

2 hrs eh, not bad for a guy that died in the 50's......

3. Victor Ludorum
      Coat

RE: ZYXEZ

Has anyone managed to decipher this yet? I tried reading it backwards but it has a spleeing erorr.

Mine's the one with 'Cryptography for Dummies' in...

1. Blue eyed boy
        Thumb Up

@spleeing errer

Got it. You just needed to alppy (sic) some thought to reconstruct the word breaks.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

M is library branch?

I only dimly recall being told K was photorecon, implying they dos some of the US NRO functions.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Of course...

Possession of this book will of course be considered "Possession of information likely to be of use to a terrorist" and get you locked up. (20% chance).

Also using encryption on your machine (add 20% chance)

User of VPN encryption technology (Add 20% chance)

Happen to be a Muslim, then no jury in the country will think you are anything other than a terrorist. Go directly to jail.

Geeks have to be so careful these days.

7. Alan Firminger

We know

Christopher Andrew's tome on MI5 is a transparent whitewash. Don't expect revelations.

8. Adam Reader
    Unhappy

What a load of tosh

I am not sure this little novel deserves a big chuck up. Has anyone checked the Hansard refs he uses. No, then you ought to. Also, everyone in the business knows trhat UKUSA was signed in March 1946, so how come the learned Prof is 2 years out. Poor, really poor. Anyone in this business would get that basic info correct. Took me a little over 2 hrs in Waterstones to skim and quick read, saw enough inaccuracies NOT to buy.... sorry "Prof"

9. Brian O'Byrne

Visit Bletchley

Any code buff should take the time to visit Bletchley Park at least once. Nice gardens, good country home, and more stories of the war, clever people and their inventions, and thousands of people working in amazing levels of secrecy than you can shake a very large stick at.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Re: ZYXEZ

Start reading from bottom right, its backwards. (Hear that sound? thats Hinsley spinning in his grave).

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Facepalm

That would explain why the overnight "bombe" simulation failed to decode it... [/sheepish_grin]

Falepalm icon, sil vous plait, Mlle. Moderatrix

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like