back to article Thousands of 'sexsomniacs' suffering in silence, say profs

Large numbers of people may be suffering in silence from the terrible condition of "sexsomnia" - somewhat like sleepwalking, but instead of wandering around the sufferer attempts to have sex with people. According to results announced at a recent conference for sleep scientists, some 7.6 per cent of patients being treated for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Finally...

..I have an excuse when I get the urge in the middle of the night.

2. Loki 1
    Pint

Well...

I like to have sex with sleeping people.... does this count?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

I'm married

We only get to have sex in our sleep. Too exhausted at any other time

Have you seen the state of these green pyjamas? how did that happen?

3. xyz Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I've got this and it's great!

GF not too chuffed though. Can't understnd why anyone thinks this is a disorder, well apart from the GF.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

she'll get it in the end

hopefully the right one.

4. Test Man
    WTF?

LIES!

I mean come on, I bet virtually everyone who says they were suffering from sexsomnia were probably actually trying it on and fully aware of their actions!

1. Hugh Jorgen
      Paris Hilton

Not so....!!!!!

I have bouts of sexomnia even when no-one else is there, and it's no laughing matter. My palms look like a yak's ears and I have one of the worlds largest biceps but only on one arm. I'm relieved this condition has finally been recognised by boffins who will now help convince it's medical and not repeated over enthusiastic acts of self pollution.........

PPppaarrissss.....

Oh no!!! NURSE...IT'S DONE IT AGAIN......

5. Pete 2 Silver badge

Now you know

... why the dog stopped sleeping at the foot of your bed.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An ex girlfriend had this

trying to feel me up during the night, then complaining the following morning that I'd woken her trying to feel her up.

Then again, she was a nasty controlling piece of work, so who knows.

On balance, I'd rather be with someone who is definitely fully conscious when doing that sort of thing.

7. Ben Rosenthal

you'd be wrong testy

many a time I have woken up in various stages of getting it on with no clue as to how I got there.

I thought it was just one of those things that happened to everyone every now and then :D

1. Freddie
      Joke

I

wish.

8. Sillyfellow
    WTF?

patient confidentiality ?

how exactly does this Sharon A Chung person know what people have, or have not, discussed with their doctors?

that's what i would like to know.

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Maybe she's a fan of Ian Dury

"I come awake

With a gift for womankind

You're still asleep

But the gift don't seem to mind"

- Wake up and make love

9. Subban

Used to be a "sufferer"

I use quotes because I wasn't really the sufferer, it was my girlfriends at the time. They would be woken up by my mauling, thrusting etc only to find that I was still fast asleep. On occasion I would also wake during this and more often than not be much too tired to bother finishing, again much to the girlfriends disdain at the time as they were quite getting into it sometimes, yes sometimes I felt obliged to finish rather than add insult to injury.

I have spoken about it with friends, and also on a couple of boards as I was quite upset by it (well upset is a bit strong, but close enough), it seems to be out there, but not many suffer it. I have never experienced sleep walking other than once as a child. My brother also has had incidents of sexsomnia, noway in hell I asking my parents...

All in all its quite a wierd experience waking up during sex as a bloke, fortunately I haven't had it in a number of years now, last time was perhaps in my late twenties I think.

To the doubters, it is real but I totally agree that many times it might be used as an excuse by some. To the folks suffering it, hang in there, maybe as happened to me, it is something you might "grow out of"

10. Anonymous John

Sleep shagging

Am I the only one who read that as "sheep"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

sleeging

slagging, snooucking, sex siesta, F.U.C.S.(For unlawful carnal sleeping), forty boinks,...

2. Robert E A Harvey

title

Oh no. You weren't. And I bet we have been subliminally led, as well.

3. Professor Tinklepants

I didn't see sheep shagging...

....but I did read the condition as 'Sexomaniacs', which sounds altogether more sinister.

4. alien anthropologist
      Happy

@Anonymous John

> sleep shagging

> Am I the only one who read that as "sheep"?

Seems like it mate.. we don't get that many Aussies here.

1. Anonymous John

@ @Anonymous John

I'm half Welsh, not an Aussie.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

That'll do mate

That'll do.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I had...

...a GF who would let me do her when she was asleep/passed out.

Anon cause you can't do anything nowadays without the Nanny State's permission.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

err....

@AC > I had a GF who would let me do her when she was asleep/passed out.

Did she bark too loudly when awake or something?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

only

only if they were doing it doggy style.

12. moonface
    Joke

Reminded me of an old joke.

Three friends go to a hotel but there aren’t enough rooms, so they have to share a bed.

In the middle of the night, the guy on the right wakes up and says: “I had this wild, vivid dream of getting a hand job!”

The guy on the left wakes up and unbelievably he’s had the same dream too.

Then the guy In the middle wakes up and says: “That’s funny, I just dreamed I was Skiing!“

13. Ventilator
    Coat

Typo

Has anyone who read Subban's post had the same thought as me? "Sleep walking" appears to be ALMOST correct.....

Mine's the one with tissues in the pocket....

14. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Oh, me too.

Oh, and anything else you see me do that you object to--I was doing that in my sleep, and thus cannot be held accountable for my actions.

15. S Larti
    Coat

Not so much a cat-nap

as some other word for a furry friend.

16. Leeroy
    Pint

Its true........

......... only a few weeks ago can i remember accusing the GF of waking me up at 3am for a bit of action. It turns out that I was the instigator and only woke up half way through. I dont see it as a problem but I think the recent drought has been the catalyst.

I blame the beer (far too frequently)

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about the crapper!

I woke up once to find myself pissing on my suits and shoes in the wardrobe.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

stop drinking so much

right before you go to bed....

18. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Stating the bleedin' obvious..

Don't sleep with a man unless you're up for it.

Women seem to think nothing of sharing a bed with the same sex if there's a bed shortage.

I would reckon that the majority of men would be less inclined to share a bed with the same sex for a fairly obvious reason....

Or am I the only one who migrates towards the warmth in bed? Have you ever seen "Planes, Trains & Automobiles" ?

This topic is closed for new posts.