back to article Solid state drives set for huge growth

Enterprise solid state drive (SSD) sales will grow by almost 90 per cent a year between now and 2015. The prediction covers flash-based solid-state drives (SSDs) in enterprise servers and SANs (storage area networks). The main forecasts are that the market for enterprise SSDs will grow from 150,000 units in 2010 to over 4.1 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. a_mu

flash volumes

So soon, we 're going to run out of flash chips . and we'll have a shock rise in flash prices,

followed by a massive investment in fabs, followed by a serious over supply by 2015

and then cheap flash based SSD's will become available and standard.

I've never seen this sort of cycle before !

2. Dave 125

Huge growth immediately available

Can't believe they are keeping prices as high as they are. I have 2TB of HDD space in my PC which I would replace with SSD *today* if I could get it for £150 or less. But at the current silly prices of a small defence budget per byte their market is *GOING* to stay tiny. Simply ramp up production - whatever that takes, and I would recommend such a switch to *everyone* I know. Multiply that by all the geeks on the planet and you have an instant market of trillions (and I mean proper British trillions, not those namby pamby US trillions where 1tr=about 3 and a half).

1. John70

British Trillions

1,000,000,000,000,000,000 British Trillion

1,000,000,000,000 US Trillion

BIG difference.

Now if the Financial markets used proper British billions and trillions the national debt won't seem so bad.

3. Colin_L

enterprise computing isn't ready for this revolution

These analyst estimates seem extremely optimistic.

Most applications and databases cannot fully take advantage of the speed promised by flash-based SSD due to bottlenecking somewhere-- usually code efficiency but sometimes CPU or memory. (Memory bottlenecking is common for 32 bit apps.) It takes time to recode things, especially when you're waiting on a vendor to do it.

15k drives will be marginalized, but 7.2k SATA drives are going to be around for long after SSD goes mainstream.

1. Ammaross Danan
      Boffin

RE: Colin

www.rethinkdb.com

This is an InnoDB strap-on to MySQL that was written with SSD-based storage in mind. Therefore, "It takes time to recode things, especially when you're waiting on a vendor to do it." only applies to proprietary vendors, or FOSS that has a marginal community around it. :)

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

@Huge growth immediately available

Without a change in the technology the cell size for flash memory is still quite large.

Replacing 2TB of rust with todays chips would fill a desktop PC, then you've still got packaging and cooling issues.

1. ooooorange
      Stop

poo

In addition to Colin_L's comments, there is also the issue of not being able to trust SSDs when they say that they have committed data.

Documentation from vendors is very vague, and certainly at the advertised write speeds there's a little fibbing going off.

Once we know the operating systems fsync/datasync etc works reliably then maybe...

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@Yet another anynymous coward

Not quite sure what you're getting on at. It's already possible to buy 512GB SSDs in a 2.5" form factor, so we could jsut take 4 of those and still be smaller than a 3.5" drive... and we can do it today.

As a matter of fact you could fit 6x 512GB SSDs into the space a single 2TB 3.5" drive takes up.

cost is another matter...

C

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like