back to article World smartphone sales: Apple closes on RIM...

Apple has narrowed the gap between the iPhone and Research in Motion's BlackBerry, heating up the battle to be the world's second biggest seller of smartphones. According to market watcher Strategy Analytics, Apple accounted for 16.4 per cent of world smartphone shipments in Q1 2010 - just 3.3 percentage points behind RIM. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I fail

Before reading the article, I tried to think who the other US phone maker was that Apple had beat. I couldn't think of any. Motorola, eh? Had no idea they still made phones...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whats the total in use though

Apple being new at the game - all its handsets will be new sales or replacing others iin the market.

But Blackberries probably have a corporate life of two years, so are these new sales or new sales and replacements?

1. Daniel B.

Applies to Apple as well

How many of those "new handsets" are actually iPhone 2G owners swapping 'em for iPhone 3GSs? Most of the people who wanted an iPhone have one at this point, so most sales will be replacement phones. Which is ensured by Apple killing support on older versions of the handset.

3. Andrew Harding

RIM in USA

RIM moved to Atlanta, GA.

4. RichyS
    Thumb Down

Nokia

The problem with these stats is that every Nokia Series 60 phone counts as a smartphone. The reality is that's very far from the case. Most S60 phones are just glorified feature phones, and do nothing more than a similarly price Samsung or LG.

Only a few N and E series phones from Nokia can truly be considered smartphones. I wonder what %age of sales these make up? How would RIM, Apple's and others' market share look then?

5. Ken 7

What definition of "smartphone" includes any Nokia phones?

iPhones and Blackberries, sure. HTC and Palm, sure. But what Nokia phones qualify as smartphones for the purpose of making them the dominate industry player?

1. Daniel B.
      Boffin

Most of the N and E phones, I'd say.

There are a lot of N and E series phones that would quallify as smartphones. And they're damn good as well!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a little bit of a bias in your reporting

The second part of your article comes from an idc report where the big news is actually that rim has moved into 4th place in the mobile phone market and yet the only things you mention about that was again about apple.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's a smartphone

@Ken 7: curious what you definition of SmartPhone is.

I would actually go the other other way and say that Nokia's smart phone shipments are underestimated, since a lot of S40 devices are pretty feature-packed, and you can install apps on them as well.

A quick (rather unscientific) look at the Nokia line suggests the iPhone is sort-of equivalent to a mid-range Nokia S60.

8. Ami Ganguli

@Ken

Which s60 device do you not consider a smart phone? Can't think of a definition of SmartPhone that includes the iPhone but excludes any S60 device.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like