back to article Payment card skimmer secretly planted in gas station pump

Criminals racked up more than $11,000 in fraudulent payment card charges using a skimming device planted in a Utah-based gas station pump, according to reports. The device was concealed so well that employees and users of the gas pump didn't spot anything amiss. When customers paid for purchases using credit or debit cards, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Stop

Las Vegas...

...had lots of these over the years.

According to TV news, one key opened a large segment of the local gas pumps, so the skimmers were hidden completely inside.

Get to know your ATM, If it's suddenly a little fatter around the slot, or the rug has suddenly stopped matching the curtains, it's best to part friends. In las vegas the advice is never pay at the pump.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Skimmers...

Over here in britland. One major bank decided to roll out "anti-skimmer" technology in all its ATM's. Just so happened that the anti-skimmer looked like a skimmer.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/Images/Entities/NewsArticles/Main/Anti-Skimmer%20device_sz-gkac1zea0wr0lkt.jpg

Including how some of them appeared to be glued in.

1. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!

I remember first seeing those

And how I stopped using ATMs which had them because I was convinced that there was something dodgy about them. The little sticker saying it was there "to protect customers" kinda reinforced that belief, as the first one I saw had a spelling mistake on the sticker - reminded me more of those emails telling me I must reactivate my HSBC account (what HSBC account??) immediately than anything else.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Grabbing back

the money that banks cost us, dollar by dollar. On you go criminals, I wouldn't even bother to prosecute you.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects 1
      Paris Hilton

Grabbing back not

If the banks were not in total control of several large governments, the various scams on ATMs would have been a subject of judicial action a long time ago. Banks just make the customers pay for the various frauds rather than end the ludicrous Dieboldnik franchises.

2. Lionel Baden

common ...

atm may not be perfect but it sure beats waiting 20 min in a line at lunch time to pull out £10 for lunch only to find out that your lunch break is over ....

3. Pete 48
    Thumb Down

A massive $11,000?

Last year in Perth, Australia, a skimming operation operating within mcdonalds netted around $5 million.

1. lpopman
      Joke

titular thingy

so that would be about two quid then

1. Cameron Colley

You forget one thing:

New Labour!

The Aussies have a different type of retard in their government so their currency is doing better against the pound nowadays.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or...

The US banks could do the rest of the world a favour and invest in chip and pin, this would kill the use of skimmers...

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      FAIL

Skimmers in Shell?

Oh, so the introduction of chip and pin stopped all those skimmers in Shell did it?

Nope, it just meant that the skimmer got your PIN as well as all the details stored on the card...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

magstripe

The magstripe was skimmed, then the cards were used in non chip and pin countries, like the US, so getting rid of the magstripe would defeat that sort of attack.

5. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Boffin

fraud?????

But the cards can't have been fraudulently used, they've got chip 'n' pin, right.....

6. kwikbreaks
    WTF?

Something wrong here

$11,000 seems to be a disappointingly low take from a device that was apparently in place up to 60 days. Methinks there must be at least one zero missing if not more.

This topic is closed for new posts.