back to article IBM gives birth to 'wire-speed' processor

IBM has introduced a new chip design that sits somewhere between a network processor and server processor. Dubbed the Wire-Speed Power Processor, the chip is aimed at what IBM calls "new, evolving markets in the system industry." Applications include edge-of-network processing, intelligent I/O for servers and network attached …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Makes perfect sense...

...to spend on hardware to make up for the verbosity and parsing pain of XML. What did facebook just do? Spend a score or so of man-years on a ``skunk works'' project to speed up their PHP spaghetti by automatically translating it into C++? So they could cut on hardware?

Oh, and it's ``regex'', short for ``REGular EXpression'', not ``RegX''. Unless you mean something entirely different that I'm not aware of.

2. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

this + GPU

= PS4's new processor?

Sounds like just the sort of thing that Sony might want IBM to do.

We want to know :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

The day the DPI ASIC business died

If this thing is priced competitively it can be a killer multipurpose software programmable DPI engine - something similar to what RedBack has in some of their existing Broadband Access Server network interfaces, but much more versatile.

Hmm... Life is just about to get interesting for the likes of Ellacoya and Sandvine.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

DataPowers new CPU

I'll bet this is the new CPU for the DataPower appliances - especially as they are described as wirespeed XML processing devices. Since IBM bought the company they have likely been using intel CPUs so its an obvious move. Currently there is a general purpose CPU pool in a DP appliance with a separate XML and crypto engine. So moving it all onto one chip seems a good move - I'm sure there are plenty of other uses for these chips as well.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like