back to article Playmobil throws down animation gauntlet

The El Reg Bootnotes department's toy manufacturer of choice, Playmobil, has agreeably invited fans to pitch their best miniature animation efforts for the chance to secure £500 and a year's supply of the company's products. Playmobil launched the challenge at the Toy Fair in London, having apparently been rather impressed by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Kamermans
    WTF?

500 pounds and a .. what?

Just out of curiosity, what constituted a "year's supply of the company's products"? I'm not sure those words even make sense O_o

1. Jerome 0
      Boffin

Well, duh.

It's the minimum amount of Playmobil that one person could survive on in a year. Obviously.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Everyone knows

The best animations are done with Lego.

1. MinionZero
      Happy

I would have to agree with this about Lego vs Playmobil

I can see why Playmobil want to use these videos as a cheap PR tool and I think Playmobil does better screen shots than Lego, but not better videos. I would say both are fun, however one down side to Lego is that it looks like low res graphics. But I've never seen any Playmobil animation that could match or even come close to the "8-bit trip" jaw droppingly good Lego's animation. (Its incredible the amount of work put into it. Even the low res video sections are digitized with every pixel drawn is done with its own lego brick, updating them all at a good frame rate). The amount of work is amazing. (Its like 8 bit demos done with Lego!). Here's the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qsWFFuYZYI

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

So...

No word on El Reg joining the fray? If the PARIS 1 (or whatever the paper plane is called) is going ahead, methinks £500 would make a significant contribution to covering development costs. Not to mention all the associated playmobil reenactments we can eat!

4. The Dorset Rambler
    Go

Come on Lester,

Get the camera out.

A re-make of the good ship Navratilova perhaps?

1. Jeremy 2
      Heart

Yes!

El Reg must enter! Your Playmobil Re-enactment fan club demands it!

5. Newt_Othis
    Unhappy

Splitting headache

Good God, man!

Use a tripod!

(Otherwise, good effort)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I'd rather watch that than...

...Avatar.

Then again I'd quite like to see Minesweeper the movie so maybe I'm a bit odd in the head?

7. Dave Bell

Vocal Talents.

I'm sure that if Playmobil provide a figure of a naval officer, we will all be able to thrill to the dramatic talents of Lewis Page.

8. Anonymous John

Playmobil reconstruction please.

Oh wait.....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Genius!

What a great idea for Play Mobil to get tonnes of PR for a mere 500 quid and the cost of a few toys!

10. davefb
    Coat

Surely some mistake?

Shouldn't they be screaming DCMA and asking youtube (et al) to take the vids down?

11. Bob 18
    Jobs Horns

What Would Jesus Film?

Just make sure Playmobil approves of your film first, or you could find yourself in some hot legal water.

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/archive/2009/04/06/playmobil-sues-priest-for-playing-with-toys.aspx

[Steve Jobs, because he's perfected this kind of fascist control to an art form.]

12. Serrio

Right

I'm going to remake Avatar with playmobil then.

I'll see you chaps in a decade!

13. Will Shaw

A year's supply of playmobil?

How exactly do you quantify that? I mean, for me, that would be no Playmobil at all: very disappointing. For my daughter, some sort of medium sized panel van full should do the trick.

14. The Mole

Years supply

It's amazing what you can learn if you just follow a link..

"Prize winner will receive a full Playmobil range every three months and a smaller product offering every month."

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

It won't be complete

If Optimus Prime is left out.....

16. Capt John Yossarian
    Paris Hilton

Debbie does Dallas?

Surely someone must have thought of that one...

Paris, 'cos she has similar acting abilities...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Go

infinite regression

How about the Reg does a Playmobil version of "Team America: World Police" as their entry?

18. Tim Schomer
    Paris Hilton

LESTER!!!

Put those playmobile figures DOWN! That's NOT the sort of thing they're looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Steve Taylor 3
    Happy

Is there a Godwin's Law for Playmobil?

There's already been some interesting Nazi Lego:

http://wiseoldturtle.blogspot.com/2006/02/lego-concentration-camp.html

This topic is closed for new posts.