back to article Google to outline smartphone strategy tomorrow

All eyes are on Google, which is holding a briefing about its smartphone strategy tomorrow to coincide with the Consumer Electronics Show (CES). It is likely to focus on its own branded phone, the Nexus One, which is made by HTC but will showcase the newest features of Android and the Google user experience. Although Google …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris 28

Before anyone says it's not technically advanced from anything before...

It's about the brand. I'm an Android fanboy, but still can't name more than 5 phones which use it, whereas most people in the street could probably tell you the difference between the 1st and 3rd gen of iPhone.

Anything that brings a 'sexy' brand to good technology is a good thing, even if the Nexus itself isn't all that.

2. eJ2095

@chris 28

Was thinking of going for a htc my self.. not sure which one though want the thing to be able to run latest android os

3. Will
    Thumb Up

I'm waiting to press the buy button

I've been waiting for ages for a decent android phone to come along, and my iphone 3g is feeling long in the tooth.

I'm all for google until they truly turn evil, at which point I'll have to do a 'Lily' and cease to be online, cause they will know too much by then!

4. Bill Neal
    Joke

what next?

can't wait until they start building a mall or theatre and call it a googleplex

5. Gerard Krupa
    FAIL

Only looking forwards

Unfortunately Google makes a lot of noise about new products and very little about support. Android is (nominally) an open platform but Google provide their own proprietary software to most phones and are shockingly remiss about supporting it. Take a look at the android help forums (particularly the Market tech help forum) and you'll see a mile long list of problems and complaints that are rarely addressed or even merit a response from the company. Consider also that there is no way to contact Google directly; those forums are your only means of bringing any issue to their attention.

I really hope their strategy announcement says something more than just reeling off a list of device names and new features going into the next Android version when some phones are still 3 versions behind with no sign of being updated.

1. Tech Hippy

As compared to..

As compared to Windows Mobile? - no free updates..

Or Apple? - post a complaint on their forum and watch it disappear..

Or Nokia? - firmware updates may / may not be provided..

Or LG?

Or?...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Is Android really an OS?

Or is it a browser stuck on top of an OS?

I wonder what learned peoples such as those at IEEE would define an OS to be?

And can't help but feel a warm glow in the heart and surrounds of a certain Mr Ballmer for OSs to be browser dependent.

1. Rosco

Thinking of Chrome?

Android is a flavour of Linux. It includes a Java Virtual Machine (called Dalvik) for running 3rd party applications. You can also write native C code for your Java application to call.

I reckon you're thinking of Chrome OS which is rather like a browser on top of an OS.

7. Il Midga di Macaroni
    Coffee/keyboard

@ subtitle

"Don't be evil and don't be Apple"? Isn't that a repetitive redundancy?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@ Thinking of Chrome

Oops!

True blue, too true I were.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like