back to article Teardown team open-sources gadget repair guides

The gadget teardown experts at iFixit have decided to make the firm’s entire catalogue of gadget repair guides available to all - and for free. With immediate effect, iFixit has licensed all of its repair manuals under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA licence – meaning anyone can read the guides for free and make alterations to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

win blows only!

What we don't do

* Help with Apple Mac computer or Linux systems.

.... so how is this different from PC-world's group of 'Tech guys' who will also charge you disproporationate fees for basic computer tasks.

2. Killboy
    Jobs Horns

Jobs alert

There'll be an uproar in AppleTown!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is the thing about open source

it doesn't matter, the people who know how to fix already know this stuff, or are quite capable of finding it out.

The people who need something fixed won't bother to read the guide as, and this is the normal quote, 'IT Goes Straight Over My Head'.

So, instead you use your material as a marketing exercise, they won't read it but they will believe you know how to fix it, and of course they will be right in that belief, it is an honest form of marketing.

1. The Flying Dutchman
      Go

Information *does* matter

Even for those who are comfortable tinkering with gadgets, a little extra info goes a long way. Of course you know that the gadget's shell has snap fits and/or screws hidden under labels, but knowing the exact locations will save you 10 minutes of invectives. And so on and so forth.

I should know. I fix stuff for a living. There are so many brands and models, most of the time you'll be dealing with something you haven't yet encountered. Being able to look up (some of) the gadget's specific quirks can save a lot of headache.

4. Scott 53
    FAIL

Virgin help

http://www.virgindigitalhelp.co.uk/pages/Article.aspx?ArticleId=040934612103937 - how to secure your wireless network

Tells you to use WEP even though the screenshot they use has WPA as an option. First page I looked at, and the advice is bad.

5. LinkOfHyrule
    FAIL

Virgin Digital Help

LOL

Sounds like some sort interactive 'chat room' for men over 30 still living with their mums!

Joking aside I wonder if they will include guides for fixing Virgin Media boxes and routers.

6. William Old
    FAIL

Falls at the first hurdle...

Numerous parts of the site don't work at all when accessed with FireFox.

So, I tried to use the site to sign up to find out how to access the service with FireFox, and...

[Wooosh! Disappears in an infinitely-recursing loop...]

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like