back to article Watchdog spanks FCC over US wireless

The US "congressional watchdog" agency has taken the Federal Communications Commission to task for mishandling its duty to provide oversight of wireless phone service. In a 71-page report (PDF) entitled, rather directly, "FCC Needs to Improve Oversight of Wireless Phone Service," the US Government Accountability Office (GAO) …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

OMG, where to even begin

I am very glad that we have a newly empowered FCC. I do have to say that my praise ends there. It is ridiculous that they are *buying* back the ariwaves we gave away for free. They like to pretend that they will keep the operators under control, but yet they continue to sell them monopolies.

The only way to help consumers is to illegalize all horizontal and vertical integration, like they attempted and failed with DSL. A last mile provider cannot be an ISP. An ISP cannot be a TV or telephony provider. A TV or telephony provider *cannot* own content creation companies. Without such rules ABC will become Verizon and NBC will become Comcast and why should either give you decent support?

You might switch away, but you'll probably end up switching back. And why compete with a company that you can't buy?

2. kain preacher

title

Um you do realise the cost in be a last mile provider ?? if the last mile provider can't make money off ISP ,TV , telephony provider then they wont upgrade the the system. WHo is going to upgrade the system ?

3. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    FAIL

Make them put FCC contact on every bill.

Our utility bills here in Las Vegas have a phone number and website for EVERY regulatory body concerned with that service.

A national mandate to print FCC point of contact information on each bill would go a long way toward improving those stats.

@vodoo trucker: We are an ISP that sells internet connectivity across QWEST's DSL system. When a customer calls QWEST to order DSL, they are NOT informed that they have a carrier choice until after they have been force-fed Q.net or MSN, whoever pays to be sent the business.

This should work like choosing a long distance carrier, the sales person insists you choose a carrier when you order a phone. of course, by bundling, they make the cost of choosing THEIR carrier much cheaper.

Someday my lawyer will get very rich from all this lying and cheating. *sigh*

4. h 6
    Dead Vulture

Title?

So what is the " 71-page report (PDF)" entitled to, excalty?

Oh, it's *titled* "FCC Needs to Improve Oversight of Wireless Phone Service."

Thought some PDFs had a new government entitlement program or something.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like