back to article BNP leader unlikely iPlayer poster child

BNP leader Nick Griffin’s appearance on the BBC’s Question Time last month helped boost take-up of the Corporation’s popular online iPlayer service. The Beeb said that the “widespread press attention” garnered by Griffin’s nails-down-a-blackboard turn on QT “had a clear ‘halo effect’ with user requests going up for other TV …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

no sh*t sherlock

"October was the BBC’s biggest month since the service first launched in 2007"

Would this have anything to do with the iplayer being included in a firmware update for the PS3??

1. Bassey

On the what now?

On the PS-what now? Oh, that thing. Yeah, I think I know someone who has one of those. Makes an okay BluRay player, right?

I think you might find the launch of the iPlayer Wii channel in November would have had rather more impact than some 3rd-rate Blu-Ray player owned by 3 greasy teenage boys.

2. Richard Porter
    FAIL

Download playback

"[the BBC] said it cannot report download playback due to data privacy restrictions, however."

Surely the reason is that it has absolutely no way of knowing how many times a downloaded programme is played back, it at all.

1. Paul Hates Handles
      Terminator

re: no way of knowing...

...I imagine the DRM could be checked online before playback, to validate the content hasn't expired. At that point you can assume the video is being played.

They can't really use that data because it would be a bit invasive... Not that I'd expect that to stop most companies

2. MinionZero
      Big Brother

User and video usage statistics...

@Richard Porter: "Surely the reason is that it has absolutely no way of knowing how many times a downloaded programme is played back, it at all."

For most people, it wouldn't surprise me if iplayer had the ability to "phone home" (so to speak), to verify the video is still in date (to check if the video is still allowed to be played) etc..

So while its phoning home, the BBC are getting user and video usage statistics from these accesses. (So they can know how many times videos are accessed and so what videos people like the most).

3. criscros

lol

Cassetteboy rules!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like