back to article Google target slips ads into iPhone apps

AdMob - the self-described "world's largest mobile advertising marketplace" that was recently snapped up by Google for tidy $750m - is introducing a new in-app advert and product-purchasing system for the iPhone. Reports scurried across the web yesterday about Apple being in talks with AdMob about a possible acquisition before …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Time element

Mobile web can be painstaking on the move, so any adverts or content that gets in the way will be loathed to the point of making people avoid it completely.

Internet on the move is a much different market to Internet at home. People are not going to tolerate anything that wastes their time, they'll throw the phone at the wall or go to another site.

2. adnim

The real problem with this

will be the inability to install Firefox and use AdBlock. Still, I guess with absolutely no viable alternative to the, you don't own me I own you iPhone...

3. Tanuki
    Thumb Down

Blipverts?

So - how long before this gets backdoored and someone works out a way to virally insert Max-Headroom-style "Blipverts" into all Apple-platform-delivered content?

[I'd love some way to engineer a mass bursting of iPhone-users' smugness-bubbles]

4. Neal 5

wahaaay

top stuff, i've been wanting more adverts on my iPhone for eons, well at least 2 years anyway.

My life wouldn't be the same without adverts, a big Thank You, to Google, and to Apple, for finally making all my dreams come true.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

re: Tanuki, forget the blipverts

Think drive-by downloads...without having to go anywhere.

6. Tom 35

Data?

So the user gets to pay for the extra data used to deliver ads they don't want to see?

7. h 6
    Stop

Folks

This is in-app advertising. If it is in your app, I simply won't buy it.

8. Sean Timarco Baggaley
    FAIL

Didn't the "Gator" crap...

... put the kibosh on this approach? I bet some of the people who invented this previously worked in broadcasting and thought, "I know just what the world needs! Ad breaks! On PHONES!"

9. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

iFail iAds

iDon't want

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Time element

There are 2 main use cases for mobile web. One where the user is looking for something in particular, is impatient and does not want distractions. However the second use case is where the user is bored and all they have is their mobile phone to entertain them. It is the second type of user that such adds will be targeting. On old school WAP sites, the click through rate of adverts is actually pretty high, due to the fact that that advert dominates the screen and that the user is only using their mobile phone because they are bored.

Some users will not tolerate adverts of this nature, but I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of users will be happy to receive an interactive advert which distracts them from their otherwise boring life.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like