back to article Wii to receive dedicated iPlayer feed

The UK's Wii owners will get a dedicated BBC iPlayer channel on their connected consoles next week, it has been confirmed. iplayer_wii_relaunch An iPlayer channel will arrive on the Wii on 18 November Although iPlayer has been available on the Wii since April 2008, the BBC said that “many console owners reported problems …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Gosnell

Should be good

The old version ran in the Opera web browser that you had to pay for, and didn't support full-screen video, only a really kludgy hack with zooming. Opera became a free download a couple of months ago, but iPlayer mysteriously broke with an accompanying Flash update, and it's been displaying a crappy message saying "we might fix this sometime" ever since. This new one will presumably work along the same lines as the Nintendo Channel, a stand-alone entity with proper full-screen video. That is, if Auntie doesn't decide to can it in the next week like most other good stuff.

2. OFI

Update?

Presumably you'll need to update to the latest 4.2 firmware for this to work?

Didn't realise the browser had gone free either..

3. Bassey

Re: OFI

Yes, the browser went free but the new, free version, kills iPlayer. Something I only discovered after following the Wii's message advising me to upgrade to the latest version. Gits!

Still, this is good news.

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Curious

Wii has a browser

PS3 has a browser

XBOX 360 has no browser. I know Microsoft dismissed the internet in the 1990s but I thought things had changed...

5. Lee Staniforth 1

Wii Opera Browser

I saw a mention that the Opera browser was now free of charge, and that Nintendo were going to reimburse anyone who'd paid for. As one of those who'd paid for it, I was interested to see if anyone had successfully recieved the reimbursement?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Wii Opera Browser

I got my reimbursement - n the shop it just stated that I could choose a free NES title instead.

I loaded Bubble Bobble... :-) (ah the memories..)

Keep checking for this IPlayer channel and its not there yet.

Peter

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

@Lee Staniforth

The reimbursement is in the form of a free NES download (worth 500 points, what you paid for the browser). There is a link on the front page of the Wii Shop channel.

8. David Gosnell
    Thumb Up

So, it's out ...

... and it works. We tried it this morning, and exactly as hoped. Nice one, Auntie!

Video quality is not broadcast standard, but consistent with our experience of iPlayer on the desktop (and with the Nintendo Channel) so perfectly watchable.

Interface is same as ever, so took us, ohhhh five seconds to be watching our chosen catch-up.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like