back to article Apple not plotting to slay netbook hackintoshes after all

Remember how a report recently zipped around the blogosphere about Apple disabling support for Intel's Atom processor in its most recent build of the soon-to-be-released Mac OS 10.6.2? Well, fuggedaboutit. As The Reg noted on Monday, Apple's deAtomization of the Snow Leopard OS was reported by a blogger named Stell. If true, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Thumb Up

We have to wait...

But quite conceivably, this Stell guy, and along with everyone else involved in the broadcast of this possibility, may have done the hackintosh community a favour.

Consider for a moment that a big corporation like Apple is likely somewhat schizoid.

1. We know already that they are somewhat acquiescing in the issue of individuals running 'hackintoshes' as described in their licensing terms ("Apple labelled computer").

2.I suspect that Apple could easily make OSX incredibly more difficult to run on more generic hardware, in fact I strongly believe they knew this from the word go, considered this and did not do it. (Ok this point is mere opinion and speculation, but I think it not inconceivable).

3. Having people run OS X on their netbooks may not necessarily be bad for Apple's business. Think about it, I daresay a good few people would already be Apple users. Keep these guys happy, and Apple may be more likely to retain their custom. It's also pretty good advertising/publicity. Word of mouth etc..

4. The recent psystar business among other things, has upset a few people inside and they are now perhaps slightly split on the current status quo . Rumblings of same may have been what Stell saw.

5. All the outcry following the expose by Stell has made these guys reconsider, possibly due to point (3) above.

Ultimately we have to wait and see.

My belief (and this is not founded on anything but conjecture) is that we may have just averted a catastrophe, and all players involved deserve a clap on their back. And that includes El Reg-o :P

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

whoops!

What's that, an unsubstantiated rumour on the Internet blown all out of proportion by the gullible?

Imagine the page hits! Trebles all round.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Bottom line....

...don't reprint blogs written by people who are guessing what may happen.....

Next week....

Microsoft may be making a car and releasing it by Mid December.Fact!

I know because I heard it from a boke down the pub who's brother over heard it being said by a guy in McDonalds who bought windows 7 from pc world who heard someone say a Microsft car will happen....something something something, Mid December.

4. Mokey Joe

Wheres the beef?

It strikes me that Apples main future revenues will come more from media and licensing than mac hardware sales. Perhaps in the future as the market for desktop computers decreases and the demand for more controllable devices such as tablets, iphones etc picks up, it may be beneficial for Apple to finally release a 'debaged' version of OSX capable of being installed on any PC.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

@sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

I've had this theory running around my head that maybe Apple split customers into a number of groups like geeks, fanboys and regular users. They need to keep the fanboys believing that they're special because they have a Mac with OSX, so can't just go out and sell it to regular folks. So, they have to make it tricky for a regular user to go installing it on their hardware. It has to be unsupported, officially breaking license terms. Regular users will pay a premium if they want it, fanboys stay happy.

The geeks however will install it as long as it's not TOO difficult. And the geeks will blog about stuff on OSX, maybe write code for it and end up offering various types of informal support (on blogs/twitter) to their rich friends with Macs.

Serious question: Can you have a netbook hackintosh where you could also have Windows running on it? My guess is dual boot with OSX installed first, right?

6. Paul Charters
    Thumb Down

Ahahah!

By any chance could it be that companies have realised they can generate notoriety and excessive brand-awareness by spreading lies on Twitter?

Nahhh...they'd NEVER think of thaAat...

7. Jacqui Smith's DVD Collection!
    Thumb Up

Yarrr!

It were Apple firing a warning shot across our bows!

I'll be sticking with 10.5 on my Dell Mini 9. :D

8. Richard 102
    Black Helicopters

It's a trap!

Set phasers to "deep fat fry"!

9. Mike 16

Dual boot Win/Mac netbook

I'd say it depends a great deal on your stretching the definition of netbook.

_Either_ OS X or Win7 take a fair bit of disk (spinning or not) space, so cramming _both_ on the small drives typical of cheaper netbooks would be an issue.

But no reason in principle...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AA

Serious question: Can you have a netbook hackintosh where you could also have Windows running on it? My guess is dual boot with OSX installed first, right?"

Yes, you can. OSX first then use a bootloader like Chameleon (or grub) to switch between. Works well. OSX is ironically still the fastest on the same hardware.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like