back to article Shsssh! Google Voice has 1.4 million users

Despite the fact that Google Voice remains an "invitation only" service, it has grown to well over 1.4 million users with a cool 570,000 folks using it daily. But you're not supposed to know that. As The Reg reported yesterday, Google on Wednesday sent a letter to the US Federal Communications Commission in response to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 55
    Pint

Doesn't this remind you of

The F1 spying scandal? PDFs wrongly censored?

2. Tom 7

Another great victory

for Pointless Document Format - doesn't do anything it says on the tin.

3. ratfox

1.4 million?

Less than I expected actually. There's what, 300 million people in the US? Then only 0.4% are using Google voice.

Even T-mobile has 25 million users... and each of Verizon, Sprint and AT&T double that.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Closing time for ECHELON?

I wonder if this means that the ECHELON global spy ring to tap mobile calls can finally close it's door (and in the UK give the land back to the nearby sheep). If Google gets its hands on all voice calls like it gets its hands on all personal communication that people have, including tagging of images (now outsourced to your trusty home computer via Picasa 3.5), then there is no real reason to keep ECHELON online.

Or maybe just feed the output into Google - after all, Google has also mastered the management of *vast* amounts of data, traditionally a problem for the likes of NSA et al.

It's actually quite impressive how people have been indoctrinated over the last 8 years to consider their right to privacy irrelevant. That was quite a desensitisation exercise, and it has worked a treat..

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Human error or Google Docs error?

PDFs don't misformat themselves, you know...

6. Bruce Ordway

Google Voice

I want to get my invite to Google Voice before they get FCC'd..

7. Chris iverson

GV is a fabulous service

I would agree that it is a Telecom and pretty good for a free service

8. Blake St. Claire

1.4M users doing what exactly?

I've got GV and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

I don't want to tell everyone that already knows my land line and mobile numbers to change. Or maybe it's that I can't be bothered.

Both landline and mobile already give me unlimited local and long distance, and very inexpensive international service; plus I have skype, ichat, and gchat for free international videophone.

I'm waiting for an epiphany. I'm not holding my breath.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

'leak' or 'leak'?

come on - I bet some marketing person allowed that value ot 'slip out' - after all, look

at all the free publicity they've now got...after all, it shows that even as 'invite only' they are getting the numbers up (though not as high as i thought their sub number would be)

10. Jacqui Smith's DVD Collection!

I have my invite...

Just waiting for those international services...

Will make a great voicemail...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like