back to article Immigration authorities swoop on Currys depot

Immigration authorities this week arrested ten Currys staff at a depot in Newark near Nottingham because they were not legally entitled to work in the UK. The electronics retailer reported the workers, mostly from Zimbabwe, to authorities following concerns about their identity documents. The UK Border Agency moved in on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Danny 14
    Thumb Up

Nice!

1. Employ illegals on crap wage.

2. work them to death for a couple of months.

3. grass yourself up so you dont have to pay them or get fined.

4. rinse repeat.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Sounds like the BNP to me :-)

"...mostly from Zimbabwe....", "UKBA said yesterday it will seek to remove the workers from the country, once any possible criminal action against them has been taken."

Right, so where are they going to send them, back to Zimbabwe? Not exectly the sort of place you want to go without a very clear exit plan. These people may be economic migrants or they may be fleeing the brutal Mugabe dictatorship. Either way that country has pretty much no food or law at present and is not the place to send anyone by force.

Oh yes, and "criminal action" for what? Trying to feed themselves?

3. Jacqui

beancounters

I can just see the gears turning in a beancounters head.

If we hire lotsa dubious folks, arrange with the contactor to pay them monthly and just before their first month, shop them to the Borders peeps we can save of paying a months salary and get 10 months free labour.

4. SirTainleyBarking
    FAIL

Sounds just like

what I'd expect DSG to do

5. Puck
    Grenade

thanks for the work fellas....

For "concerns about their identity documents" read "concerns about size of payroll".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Go

$$$$$ DSG Beancounters FTW! (YOUR HIRED!)

win win situation for SirAS

free labour, free labor, higher turnover of leeches on benifits, UK free of more tards to be deported ASAP

win win win...

would you like win7 with that win Sir...

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@AC 15:30 BNP

I love the world you live in. It is better than the world I live in. In your world everyone has a money tree, resources are not finite and everyone who is having a hard time can come and stay. Funny how these people somehow end up in Britain isn't it? Not Tanzania? Why is that? mmm? Why?

Criminal Action because they broke the law. The law is blind. Perhaps if you are so enamoured with their plight you might contact the local authorities and offer to take them in to your house, you will to prove that can support them though with your own money, NO? thought not, you'd rather my tax money was spent on others who think nothing of breaking the law, rather than the services that me and my family require and expect and have contributed to!!!!!

Since they are criminals, they can work to pay for their ticket home as far as I'm concerned.

I'd also be happier if the Curry's human resource department was charged too.

8. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Double sentence at its best

From what I gather they are legally entitled to be there, right? They just aren't allowed to work. Why send them back *on top* of the sentence for working illegally?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC 15:30 BNP

"I love the world you live in. It is better than the world I live in. In your world everyone has a money tree, resources are not finite and everyone who is having a hard time can come and stay. Funny how these people somehow end up in Britain isn't it? Not Tanzania? Why is that? mmm? Why?"

Yet they had jobs and paid their bills and thus expanded the UK economy. You understand don't you that the UK has no 'wealth' as such. The size of the UK economy is largely about how much people are prepared to pay to live there in relation to the poor lifestyle. Japan is rich because people will work like dogs, to pay for $1 million tiny apartments in tokyo! Their only real asset is a population with a crap life!

"Criminal Action because they broke the law."

It was made a crime, other countries simply do an amnesty and tax them.

" The law is blind."

It has no eyes, it is not an entity separate from the assholes that write the rules. The net effect of this is every single person the UK expels who had a job, shrinks your economy.

Your taxes do not pay your services, you have a deficit and always did. While you had a growing economy you printed the difference, which went into property assets. China lent you money because you had a growing economy. Now you don't.

"you'd rather my tax money was spent on others who think nothing of breaking the law, rather than the services that me and my family require and expect and have contributed to"

If you expelled them that would cost you less than imprisoning them. So your choice of criminalizing them, means you have created a bigger tax burden.

Really I can't wait till sterling collapses and I get to rub your racists bastards noses in it, as you beg the EU for a bailout.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That'll be the "I" in DSGI then

That'll be the "I" in DSGI then

11. John Stirling
    Flame

@ElReg!comments!Pierre

Obviously I'm not going to do my own research, but are you saying we have a category of immigration where people are allowed to stay, but are legally prevented from working to support themselves. Presumably these would be people applying for some form of asylum? In which case unlikely to be capable of supporting themselves from existing means?

That is a broken system.

we either need to make a decision within weeks regarding asylum, or if that CANNOT be done because of identity information being tricky to confirm then we need to allow them to work (and pay taxes etc).

So these folks were illegally contributing to the finances of the country they have come to - bastards, should have carried on sponging. Surely the law needs changing not enforcing.

@ac 17:21 - the law is indeed blind, and occasionally stupid. but the evidence (yes, evidence, not hyperbole, strawmen, or emotion) is that economic migrancy adds to the GDP per head, rather than detracting. Of course if you prevent the migrants from contributing the numbers will come out slightly differently - and it is only bloody silly rules which prevent asylum seekers from becoming economic migrants too.

I know we need some way of controlling immigration, and there are other issues than purely economic (cultural xenophobia being the main one, from all groups) but the problem is controllable through incentives, rather than using a drawbridge and pulling it up (although some measure of that is useful while the incentives permeate through).

Gah, whole bloody debate annoys me because people use anger rather than logic. Oh, wait, bugger.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC 17:21

Your tax money wasn't supporting them. They were working. Such a crime to want to go somewhere where they can actually have a life by working for it.

This "not legally allowed to work" is so fucking stupid.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Business friendly expulsions

I can see this catching on in certain sectors, not least retail. Employ a few extra workers for the christmas rush, when it's over and you don't need them, call Immigration and shop the lot, conveniently holding on to any outstanding wages they weren't entitled to get in the first place while looking aghast and wagging your finger reprovingly in true "New Labour approved" fashion..

At last! A new recession-busting minimum wage the CBI can pledge their full support to.

14. Gulfie
    FAIL

@AC 16:36

Think you have your wires crossed here, Sir Alan Sugar does not have anything to do with DSG. He might own a few shares, I don't known, but he's not in the management chain, anywhere...

15. JohnG

For "concerns about their identity documents" read "concerns about size of payroll"

No mate - they still could not pay below minimum wage and you can bet the government will still want the PAYE.

Employers face civil penalties of up to £10000 for each illegal immigrant they employ - the only valid defence is that they prove they checked each employees immigration status (i.e. what Baroness Scotland claims she did but could not prove, although, had she checked, you would have thought she would have noticed the expired student visa).

If the prosecution can prove that the employer KNOWINGLY employed an illegal worker, the penalty becomes criminal and carries UNLIMITED FINES and/or up to TWO YEARS IN PRISON. I bet the Currys HR people were thinking of that.

16. Number6

Real Origins?

Let's face it, if I was discovered by the immigration authorities, having sneaked into the country illegally, I'd probably start by claiming to be from somewhere with a brutal and oppressive regime if I thought that would lessen my chances of being deported. The only time to admit your real origin is when it's clear that if you don't, you'd end up being deported to the brutal and oppressive regime.

17. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@AC BNP

So you dont mind illegals working here? To be working properly for DSGi they would have had to illegally obtained someones N.I. number - supposing that NI number was yours? You would then be paying more income tax due to technically having 2 jobs and would then be taxed at a higher rate which in turn means your take home pay would be less - still think all is fine for them to be illegally working here to help pay for theirselves and families? Thought not

18. Sam Liddicott
    Thumb Down

EU bailout

"Really I can't wait till sterling collapses and I get to rub your racists bastards noses in it, as you beg the EU for a bailout."

It's this idiot government doing it's best to collapse the sterling so that they have a slim chance of winning the EU referendum they keep pretending to forget they promised.

Sam

19. Malcolm Boura 2

Administrative penalties

Whatever happened to the idea that the law defines what is illegal? The principle behind much legislation of the last decade or so has been make it so all encompassing that everyone is guilty until some government agency decides to let you off. That is not law and it's not justice but of course the agencies love it.

20. Andy Davies

nice?

so Dixons' management were all legal and now have a nice cosy warm feeling -

or did they piss their pants?

21. ChrisC Silver badge

@AC 11:05

"To be working properly for DSGi they would have had to illegally obtained someones N.I. number"

Unless they came in on overseas student visas, in which case they'd have their own legally issued NI numbers, but which would also place restrictions on the type of work and hours/week they were permitted to do...

22. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

@By Anonymous Coward Posted Friday 23rd October 2009 17:21 GMT

They all end up here do they. Nice to see you Dail Mail / BNP facts in full effect.

Why not do a bit of research first. You may be suprised. in fact get Panaroma on the iplayer or Unreported world, and you'll find that Britain in well down the list.....

In fact check out "Mongrel Nation" and you'll soon find out that "Great British Institutions" such as Marks and Spencers, Odeon Cinema and Saville Row, were founded by immigrants.

KLets get some facts for you shall we.

One those seeking asylum are not allowed to work. Most are NOT entitled to benefits, and those that do get emergency benefits get some damp bedsit run by landlords ripping of Social Services / Housing. Most are housed, fed and clothed by charities, no different to the homeless of the UK (when was the last time you gave money to Shelter, eh?)

The east european immigrants as a whole RENT, i.e pay for they houses. Notice the Polish produce in the shops, that's right it's all free. they just help themselves. Once they are refused asylum, they get zero benefits

This is why they work, either that or starve to death.

Oh just in case you wondering the UK has a massive number of people illegaly working abroad. That's right, all those people who go to Australia, Thailand and the likes and get a part time job whilst backpacking, that's illeagal, but it's Ok we are white and British, rules don't apply to us.

This topic is closed for new posts.