back to article Google apes Microsoft's Twitter pact in real-time

Google has announced a pact to feed Twitter's Web2.0rhea straight into its search engine, hours after Microsoft unveiled a similar deal. "We are very excited to announce that we have reached an agreement with Twitter to include their updates in our search results," reads a blog post from Googirl Marisa Mayer. "We believe that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

bleagh

I sure hope one can opt out from getting twitter results. what a lot of noise.

2. Gary F

Oh please no

Twits tweet about any old sh*t and the last thing I need is any old sh*t coming back from my search queries. Let's hope Google don't mix tweets into the default search results. That would just be awful.

3. tuna 1
    Thumb Down

Does This Mean...?

Does this mean we have to type -twitter to every search for facts to avoid the avalanche of useless detritus now? Like finding meaningful results amongst the paid placements wasn't hard enough.

Greeeeaaaaaat.

4. Jeremy 2
    Badgers

Does this mean...

...that Twitter now has.... A revenue stream!?!?!? Good god! Please stand back while the internet implodes under the weight of the improbability of such a thing.

(Presumably they're not turning their data over to MS and Google for now't?)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I hope they put an option to filter it out

Thanks, not smokin' dat. If people want to tw*t they can tw*t to the tw*tting heart content in the tw*tted closed garden. No need to pollute the rest of the Internet with their tw*tting

6. Gulfie
    Welcome

Garbage in, garbage out...

I can't wait to see this. Not because I think it will be usefully applied to all Twitter accounts, but because I can't wait to see how Google manages to contextualise the contextless snippents of, mostly, complete crap that twitter consists of. "I like cheetos" (google the youtube twitter cops video) sums it up perfectly. I run three Twitter accounts - one is pure satire and wind-up, the second is a 'business' account while the third is there just to listen in to stuff.

Now, if Twitter were to offer a premium account and only those had their tweets pushed into search results along with a standard URL for the account... ker-ching! And yes, I would pay, and use the account to promote my business with care. The interwebs don't run for free, you know, and nothing dies quicker than a popular site with no business model.

So, on the whole, I would like to welcome my new tweet-pushing overlords. Oh wait. There's an icon for that ;-)

7. Majid
    FAIL

anybody to hire to do 24/7 tweets to boost my products ranking?

I see yet another scam on the horizon. Would almost switch to bing... oh wait...

8. It wasnt me
    Thumb Down

Allow me.....

...... to shoot some fish in this barrel for you.

Firstly:

"We believe that our search results and user experience will greatly benefit from the inclusion of this up-to-the-minute data, and we look forward to having a product that showcases how tweets can make search better in the coming months."

Should have read:

"We know full well that our search results and user experience will not benefit at all from the inclusion of this up-to-the-minute drivel, and we look forward to having a product that showcases how tweets can pollute search even more in the coming months."

There, fixed that one.

Secondly:

What does this mean for netizens?

Well, very little. I understand that google attempts to sort by relevance to your query. That should prevent anything from twitter ever getting anywhere near any search results.

@Jeremy 2:"(Presumably they're not turning their data over to MS and Google for now't?)"

I would presume such a thing. I really can't see MS or G (MSG?) paying for the musings of the internet's pondlife.

On a serious note, Google really could do with a button that excludes blogs, twitter, facefuck etc. A "Give me what I want" button. It could actually be hardware, a big red one on the front of the machine, sharing functionality with Windows, where it is a "Just do what I tell you, nothing more" button.

If only .......

9. sandman
    Happy

It's the end of the world as we know it...

This answers the old question for once and for all, there is a God and she hates us.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Yay!

Doubleplusgood for the great stir of gooddata, and heartening to see that the gals and guys at google too are true believers 2.0.

I do sincerely hope there's a way to filter that, as I'd also like a way to drop all blogs from google's news aggregating (following ten `via' links to get to the original report gets a bit distracting), and it'd be nice if they'd unbotch the negative and quoted searching, stop spawning gsomething.com domains to stuff more javascript under instead of using *.google.com, stop forcing cookies on you then ignore them anyway because their IP based guessing of my preferences takes precedence, or stop requiring a gmail account with signed AUP, and a google account with tickboxed Ts&Cs, and a gsomethingelse account with accepted EULA just to use their gwhatever service for no discernible reason, and a few more things like that. But hey, as long as it's 2.0-y enough, nobody's going to notice silly little details like lack of functionality or breach of their own golden rule, right?

11. Barney Carroll

If only there was a TWITTER = BAD icon

…You could reduce the Reg's overall comments word-count by about 25%.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

twit for twats

that's probably the worst news I´ve had all day.. and this morning I was told that they are gonna have to chop my left foot off.

I´de give my right foot to be free of twitter

13. Daniel 1

We want a 'Chocolate Factory'!

Alert! One of the Oompa-Loompas at The Register has managed to write more than two paragraphs about Google without including the cumbersome and worn out phrase "Mountain View Chocolate Factory"! This is wrong. "Mountain View Chocolate Factory" is, to The Register, what "Vole" is, to The Inquirer (an inexplicable and unfunny 'joke' that hopes to become amusing and popular simply through repetition).

In order to redress this imbalance I feel I must insert the words "Mountain View Chocolate Factory", few times, here in the comments. It's such a smart thing to do, after all (like spelling MS with a dollar sign, or knowing who Leeroy Jenkins is). Look at me, I can find Santa Clara on Google Maps, too.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: If only there was a TWITTER = BAD icon

I second the request for such an icon. Perhaps it could be the carcass of that stupid blue bird, feet turned to the sky?

15. omega

TWITTER = BAD icon

I'll add my name to that campaign.

Is it not time to add Google Love and Google Hate icons as well?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like