back to article MPAA chief set for September exit

The chairman and CEO of Motion Picture Association of America, Dan Glickman, will exit stage left when his contract ends this September. Glickman, a former Agriculture Department secretary and Democrat congressman from Kansas, has held the post as Hollywood's top lobbyist to Washington for five years following the retirement …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I'll assume that's "Tax cuts" rather than "taxed cuts"

and then ask WTF the film industry does that deserves a tax break? I mean the automotive industry keeps people moving. The power generation and hydrocarbon production industries keep the power on. Farmers keep people fed, water companies keep them from dying- and prevent the spread of a great many waterborne diseases. These are industries that deserve tax breaks. Yes, all of them probably gouge their customers a bit, but they've got to be kept running (or at least their facilities do).

On the other hand you've got the entertainment industry who treat their genuine customers like criminals- making life easier only for those same criminals (how many pirated videos keep the unskippable copyright notices and adverts?). An industry who charges kids, dead people and the blatantly innocent with criminal acts- and who have ridiculous laws pushed through to let them inflict more misery on more people for less money and with less scrutiny or oversight. Yes, the Freetards are irritating. But a few whiney hippies going on about how music should be free are a mere trifle compared to the entertainment industry's criminal (and Un-American) acts to help preserve their ability to churn out dross.

These people are scum and don't deserve tax breaks.

2. Andy Neale
    Black Helicopters

..Pirates beware....

..If Arnie gets the job, expect less lawsuits and more 'Terminations'

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Hooray for Hollywood......

Well actually, no, Booo Hisss!

Mingers!!

4. Adam Salisbury
    Coat

Entertainment Industry Tax Breaks

Bearing in mind most of the 'Entertainment' industry is an oxymoron, merely serving up a cheap, dumbed-down mediocre gruel they should probably be taxed MORE as incentive to produce something half decent for a change.

Just like most other big business they can summed up in two words: Greedy W@nkers

5. seanj

@..Pirates beware....

Not a problem - since he ignored that disastrously faded old crone Harriet "Harpy" Harman, she must be on her way to "terminate" him, like she threatened.

6. MnM
    Coat

"My guess is that I'll end up in the nonprofit or academic world"

Staying put then.

7. g e

Close the door on the way out

and try not to step on any landmines

I hope someone does some torrenting on his wifi connection for him so he can sample a threatening letter personally.

8. Steven Hunter

re: I'll assume that's "Tax cuts" rather than "taxed cuts"

"(how many pirated videos keep the unskippable copyright notices and adverts?)"

I don't mind the copyright notices so much, they're usually pretty short. But holy living hell I can't stand it when I rent a DVD and it has 15 *fucking minutes* of unskippable "previews" before you even get to the damn menu. The only thing that's worse is when you *buy* the disc and it has *any* previews (skippable or otherwise).

BTW, technically it's a violation of the DVD license to apply the "no-skip" code to any track other than the copyright notice(s). IDK about Blu Ray.

9. asdf
    FAIL

blame the dmca

>I don't mind the copyright notices so much, they're usually pretty short. But holy living hell I can't stand it when I rent a DVD and it has 15 *fucking minutes* of unskippable "previews" before you even get to the damn menu. The only thing that's worse is when you *buy* the disc and it has *any* previews (skippable or otherwise).

It is actually fairly trivial to get around this (by playing on computer or reburning without css) but alas you run into the law that shows just how corrupt wester civ has become the DMCA. If you Hollywood is going to make you a criminal to avoid their gestapo enforced commericals just go all the way by not buying the dvd and torrenting it. Of course treating your paying customers to a worse experience than the freeloaders experience is a solid business model that will stand the test of time. What wankers.

This topic is closed for new posts.