back to article iPhone thieves collared by Jobsian GPS

A trio of blundering brigands have been busted after an iPhone they had stolen betrayed their whereabouts. This tale of technology overcoming uninformed criminality comes to us from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, which reported Monday that an unnamed victim was robbed of his iPhone and wallet early Sunday morning. Apparently, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. R.E.H.

Just sayin'

In Pittsburgh, PPG==Pittsburgh Plate Glass, not Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Acronym fail.

2. Mike S

Eat n' Smart?

I don't think those guys would have anything to do with something labeled "Smart".

3. Nexox Enigma

Faraday Cage Envelope!

Never know when you'll need one next!

4. Sly
    Coat

more PPG acronyms

Phased Plasma Gun (Babylon 5)

Progress in Physical Geography

PowerPuff Girls

Polyglot Parser Generator

Pfitzner Performance Gearbox

Personnel Policy Guidance

Privacy Policy Generator

Purchase Planners Group

mine's the one with the ROFLCOPTER on the back

5. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Jobs Horns

Sorry ...

... I'm a little slow today. Does this mean that if I want the Police to arrest Steve Jobs, I should steal his iPhone ?

If he's not careful I'll steal it and make an iBrick out of it. You are in soooooo much trouble, buster. Just wait until Ma Bell gets home!

6. Tony Paulazzo

Hey

Why don't all phones have this? It would destroy the stolen phone market in one generation, oh but of course, the phone insurers would lose an easy tenner a month (or however much it is), scam.

Or at least give us the option of remote bricking our phones so the little yobs lose out on their £20 sell on fee.

7. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Thumb Up

All expensive kit should have this feature

- Cars

- Tvs

- Computers

- Cameras

- DVD equip, etc

Mr Plod could then catch these tea-leaves rather than snoop on innocent citizens....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@Moss Icely Spaceport

Are you kidding? they would USE it to snoop on innocent people if there were any.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Sorry & "All expensive kit"

@Sorry:

You should jailbreak his phone and then let it be found. Would be very funny the next time there's a firmware update :-)

@All expensive kit should have this feature.

Ab-so-lu-te-ly no way. You're already far too trackable as it is, you would not want to have to worry about this kit being used against you. The only acceptable trackers are those than remain 100% under your control, and given that the iPhoney (as well as Google Latitude) are in principle US you can forget about that. Given the recent legal abuse in Germany (buying stolen data from Liechtenstein despite that being illegal under EU law) I guess it's now only going to take some vague allegation of tax fraud to get the phone in your shiny Mercedes tapped too. Oh, and your ordinary, non-iPhone UK phone does just the same - and even a council has rights to demand the location records (council tax evasion is apparently a valid argument).

If they want me they might as well work for it - that ensures they first have to decide if I'm worth the expense (I'm not, incidentally, but I get pissed off about those that should be under the most strict legal control of all just do as they please).

Anon because I only trust El Reg..

10. Sam Machin
    Flame

Remote Detonation

I'd much rather have a feature that allows me to turn the iPhone into an exploding fireball remotely, at least that way there'd be some Justice.

New iPhone = £400

Theaving b***ard scarred for life = Priceless

11. Paul Murphy 1

What might work

Everything that connects to your WiFi hub - have it bleat to you and/or the police when it loses contact for more than 10 minutes,

Everything else - make sure you have good doors and windows, and keep them closed and locked.

ttfn

12. Nicholas Wright
    FAIL

Great software, but...

$99 a year?! £40 odd quid a year to protect against an idiot stealing your phone?

Would be better off getting another mobile phone contract, with an additional iPhone!

13. Nic 3
    Thumb Up

Tin foil hats

I see the tin foil hat brigade are on full alert this morning. Good effort brave Internet Warriors. Keeping the world safe.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: All expensive kit should have this feature

Most of mine does. All of my computers fetch a webpage from a site I control when they are powered on. From this I can get the IP address and the police can then track the location.

Wherever possible I buy hardware with embedded linux (switches, print servers etc) so that I can modify the firmware to do the same.

Obviously this depends on the equipment being able to access the internet once its been stolen, but its better than nothing.

15. LuMan
    Thumb Up

Alternative Solution

Get the iPhone to call about 10 of your mates and a Transit Van hire company......

16. Tom 7

@Sam Machin

Excellent idea - next time you really annoy me I'll put my iPhone in your pocket and call the justice line!

17. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

RE: @Sorry & "All expensive kit"

In theory, all GSM mobiles are trackable. Each mobile has a unique ID called the IMEI - when you connect to the service, the mobile tower knows which phone it is talking to not just by the SIM's IMSI number but also the phone's IMEI number. Switch SIMs and the carrier still knows which handset is being used. If you are in an urban carrier cell then you are likely to be within range of more than one mast, so the phone companies can triangulate your position. If you check inside your mobe you'll usually find an IMEI number under the battery (sorry, iBoner's, that's under the removeable and replaceable battery that other phone users enjoy). Otherwise call your carrier and ask for the IMEI - if the phone gets stolen they can track or block it by the IMEI number. The carriers can pass this info to the Police to help them track down mobile thieves, which is why the pro crims usually remove the battery immediately and send the phone abroad, whilst the i-want-to-go-to-jail kiddies will try and flog it down the pub.

18. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Re: Re: All expensive kit should have this feature

Let me guess. You wear one of those hats as depicted on the S.M.O.F. card in the Illuminati game, don't you?

19. Monty Burns

@Expensive Kit should do this

As mentioned by AC, most can/does. You can also have trackers fitted to motorbikes/cars for years. Not to mentioned much of the "other" smart phones have been able to do this already - for free normaly!

Bless em, gota love ignorant crims eh? :-)

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

RE:All expensive kit should have this feature

-Cars

http://www.tracker.co.uk/TRACKER/

IIRC a lifetime subscription was only about £400 which apart from paying for itself in reduced insurance premiums is rather a small percentage of the overall cost of the car.

21. Steve Evans
    Flame

They should count themsleves lucky...

The Jobsian device's remote detonation feature hadn't been activated!

22. The First Dave
    Thumb Up

Untitled

See - more proof that Apple is more secure than Windoze!

23. Yorkshirepudding
    Coat

iRobbed

there's an app for that

mines the one with the 5800 in

24. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

PPG

I though PPG referred to members of the infamous low swinging 'Penis Pump Gang'.

Apparently PPG head keeps a watchful eye over all his members

25. Gannon (J.) Dick
    WTF?

Does this Tin Foil Hat make me look fat ?

What's up with that Eat'nPark ?

It sounds like the same unfortunate order which causes multi-tasking to be blamed for people too stupid to walk and chew gum.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like