back to article Campaign Monitor reels from hack and spam attack

Australian email marketing application developers Campaign Monitor warned on Tuesday that it had been the victim of a hacking attack over the weekend. Unidentified miscreants broke into servers last weekend and accessed some accounts. These compromised accounts were used to send spam, using lists already in the account and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neil Spellings
    Thumb Up

SPAM delays

More email marketing campaigns delayed...am I the only one not crying into their keyboard?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CC details

I thought holding CC details in any form was a huge no-no?

3. shane fitzgerald
    Thumb Up

Open

The details sent out and on thier blog are very open and honest - not something you see so often. Good luck to them for that alone.

4. seanj
    WTF?

Ok...

So a spam-generator gets hacked and used for sending spam to their own mailing list of spam recipients?

Surely they should be thanking the "hackers", and paying them time-and-a-half for working out of hours...

5. Your alien overlord - fear me

Email marketing company sending spam?

Never would have believed it myself.

Of course, its a good cover story when Spamcop etc complains about the spam from them "Oh sorry, we got hacked".

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I use these guys

Campaign Monitor are red-hot AGAINST spam and spammers.

The people on my CM email lists are all double opted in.

The unsubscribe process is instant and permanent.

In fact, spam complaints >0.25% mean your CM account is automatically suspended.

I highly recommend them.

We were not affected, I guess.

7. David Cantrell
    Happy

Couldn't happen to more deserving people

"Double opt-in" is spammer-speak for "confirmed opt-in". If CM call it "double opt-in", making good practice sound like a terrible burden, then good riddance to 'em.

8. Tom Chiverton 1

sigh

@Winkypop - no one ever complains about spam any more, they just throw it away (so as not to verify the account).

@AC holding encrypted card details (i.e. hash) is fine

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like