back to article First success for vulture breeding programme

The RSPB is celebrating the first successful captive breeding of a slender-billed vulture in India. The charity, with help from the Rufford Maurice Laing Foundation, began a campaign to outlaw use of the anti-inflammatory drug diclofenac in cattle, which causes severe kidney failure in the birds of prey. It set up three …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Cooke

Really good news

This is great news - I frequently visit our local Bird of Prey centre and the chap who owns it is passionate about the plight of the vultures. They have sponsored events (e.g. sponsor someone having their head shaved!) and sell wristbands to make money for the captive breeding program, raise the profile of the problem. At the centre they have about a dozen vultures of various kinds and they are very smart birds, much more appealing than you'd think from their reputation. Go vultures!

2. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Chew on that!

Well it's comforting to know that since I take Voltarol for joint pain, if I happen to drop dead in india the vultures will choak on my arthritic rotting corpse =OP

The point about them clearing away carrion has it's flip side - I live in the Chilterns where thanks to a re-introduction programme we now have several hundred breading pairs of Red Kites, (a large carrion eating eagle), and a growing number of collisons with vehicles when the massive birds swoop down on roads to retrieve dead rabits / badgers etc.

Having a bird with a 5 foot wingspan suddenly flying at your windscreen is no joke!

3. Andy Livingstone

Sorry - my mistake

Oops, I thought this was about Bankers.

4. The Indomitable Gall
    Joke

@Steve 70

It's a cycle of evil. You car drivers with your nasty petrol fumes run down bunnies and when the bunnies die the carrion birds come in and you kill them too.

You should be riding around on an organically farmed bicycle with jojoba wheels.

Bunny killer!

5. Number6

Misunderstanding

And here was me expecting you to be announcing a happy event at El Reg...

(but remember, they're noisy and they smell)

6. Eddy Ito
    Pint

A tricky lot, you are.

By the headline, I was thinking some lucky Reg hack finally got his comeuppance, as it were. I read the article only to find out you were being literal. All right then, any reason for a pint, here's to the pint sized avian brood.

7. Tim Schomer
    Joke

@ Number6

"(but remember, they're noisy and they smell)"

Not sure who you're referring to, the vultures, their offspring or the Reg hacks (or their litters)

8. Cliff

Hooray!

This can only be good news, biodiversity is essential to all our survivals and makes the world a better and more beautiful (including vultures) place all round :-)

9. Andy Enderby 1

sponsor one....

seriously sponsor one, if they call it Reg.....

10. John Angelico
    Joke

@andy livingstone

Nah... a lot of carrion about nothing at all, really.

And, yes, I'll get my coat (dustcoat, grey, scientists, for wearing by) as well.

11. Richard Hebert
    Pint

Adopt-A-Vulture program ?

Would be fun to actually have a vulture adoption program

We could all chip in , have the vulture called Reg and well .. simply know

we did something good. Or someone take it one step further and start a

Save the Vultures foundation.. ( with funds channeled through our beloved bofh ; )

All in all good news , everytime a species is saved is a great day for all living creatures.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like