back to article US websites buckle under sustained DDoS attacks

Websites belonging to the federal government, regulatory agencies and private companies have been struggling against sustained online attacks that began on the Independence Day holiday, according to multiple published reports. At time of writing, most of the targets appeared to be afloat. Nonetheless, several targets have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow Cyberterrorists

Cyber terrorists taking down the FTC.gov?..... how will citizens read about their regulatory framework for radio and television? Apart from Wikipedia and clones? With the website down, the news will be full of f*cks and cussing and civilisation will collapses!!!

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT!!!

You can:

1. Be afraid, or

2. Spend billions on a super Internet surveillance network, or

3. Upgrade your Apache webserver and configure mod_evasive...

2. tom jones
    Terminator

Simple!

Just send a bolt of electricity thru the network cables and fry the perpetrators as the type on their keyboards! I've seen it done on many movies so it must be true!

It's certainly not only the self-aware AI's that have access to the sudo send lightningbolt command, duh!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Diminished?? Not at all!!!

Hi,

even though I live and work in (too) sunny Spain, my employer's VPN web access and intranet are located in the USA as well as some 3rd party resources which I regularly make use of.

None of them are available TODAY, and they were available yesterday.

Regards,

4. Justin 2
    WTF?

Gigabytes? Modest?

20 - 40GB/s is hardly modest for a DDOS, unless they actually meant gigabits - who knows!

5. Number6
    Black Helicopters

@Justin 2

Perhaps us.gov just gave away the capabilities of their systems to handle DDoS attacks.

Oops... what's that whirring noi

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Cyberterrorists

Alternatively,

4. Send the SEALs to express the displeasure of the US government and terminate the attackers with extreme prejudice and an axe.

Of course that won't happen, oil is not involved. Oh well. One can always dream....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Diminished?? Not at all!!!

I am in London and VPN into Boston & Tampa -- no problems for me at all.

As per the article: Should we take a wild guess to the perpetrators location and suggest Pyongyang? Or has all the propoganda gone to my head?

8. virushunter

@tom jones

While I am guessing a typical Register reader knows how to avoid this problem, it could be your computer they zap. If you have a program that is turning your computer into a zombie, it could be the origin of the attacks. That AI would need to be able to find the true source of the attacks.

9. Thomas 18

@tom jones

This is why I wear rubber gloves while typing. That and my keyboard is a biohazard. I also have a yale on my door to stop those pesky SEALs.

10. Tom 13
    Headmaster

@Umm

The 4th was a holiday, so nobody was there on the 3rd to notice. The 4th was a holiday so everybody was still out of the office on the 6th because they were recovering from the holiday. On the 7th they couldn't get the email out about the DDOS attack because of the DDOS attack. By today they had finally mitigated the attack enough so the email would go out.

11. glennog 1
    FAIL

Successful crippling of US and SK Infrastructure

At least that's what the NK propaganda will read... Just like they figured they could get away with photoshopping Kim Wrong Il into a photograph while he was out of the game for a while... Just like when they successfully launched a satellite into orbit despite it splashing down somewhere in the pacific. What's truly worse is they probably did think they could bring down national infrastructure by DDoSing a few websites.

Ooh, ooh, please don't DDoS me, it hurts so much more than your failed ballistic missiles ever could. In fact, yeah, do that instead, DDoS me... It really did hurt us, you nearly brought the entire country to it's knees... Honest. Truly it did.

EPIC FAIL

12. heystoopid
    Grenade

Cui bono ?

Or who benefits from disinformation and propaganda ?

Is it a thinly disguised NSA attack , to allow them time to cut over the new data mining centre ?

Say what ever did happen to you know who , was she too a victim ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like