back to article Sapped council staff offered SAP counselling

Harrassed Somerset County Council staff are to benefit from "support sessions" designed to help them face the trauma of a SAP implementation which has so far seen the software not quite providing local government operatives with "the visibility to pinpoint inefficiencies", the "capabilities to transform them into competitive …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. oxo 1
    Thumb Down

SAP is Crap

Says it all really. It's the worst piece of DOS under Windows software I've ever had the misfortune....

2. Neil Greatorex
    Thumb Down

Does anyone know

of any successful SAP (or others of its ilk) installation in government, local government or other large public institution?

Can't say I can recall hearing of any.

SAP in these circumstances is akin to putting Wellington boots on your horse's ears.

3. Eddie Johnson
    IT Angle

The inefficiency is obvious

Actually I think the project has provided "the visibility to pinpoint inefficiencies." Unfortunately, the number one inefficiency they've found is the SAP. Eliminating that project would improve govt efficiency by 78%. It would also boost morale, provide untold health benefits by reducing stress, and probably make the birds sing too.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

The end-users are not getting what they want?

I thought the coal face workers were our primary audience for systems, therefore making the focus of the design ease of use, speed and simplicity? Seems not!

Someone once asked me what SAP gave over and above the previous system. I said "the users have to enter twice as much data, with four times as many keypresses, so a manager can generate a nice report once a month with 2 mouse clicks!".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SAP Crap ? Snap !

At my company we've only just managed to rid ourselves of this appalling and vastly overpriced system after being shackled to it for too long. We've now developed an in-house for a fraction of the cost that does more in less time. Get rid, thats what I say....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

OI!

Someone owes me a new screen...

>...the ultimate benefits and savings that SAP and our relationship with SouthWest One bring will more than compensate...

This one is covered in coffee thanks to that line. I haven't laughed that much since... well, Friday's BofH actually.

7. Andy Livingstone

They Bought Software - not a Miracle

Visibility, capability, competitiveness, foresight, agility, functionality, best practices?

Not usually associated with any council and certainly not available as part of a software purchase.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

How about...

...training staff BEFORE the event. Even better, just trianing them full stop, instead of this touchy fealy "soft skills" management bollocks...

Paris. Why? All I can say is Thinking outside "the box"

9. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

SAP - arrrrggghhhhh.

Horrible, horrible, horrible software.

It's called SAP because it saps your motivation after using it.

Bill gates ? Because even MS writes better software than SAP.

10. Adam Salisbury
    Coat

Well I Never

I'd never thought I'd hear my self congratulate the Tories, so I won't! If, however, they do trash Yet Another Fubar'd Gov IT Project I shall warmly thank them!

Mine's the one with "Will Those Numpties Ever Get IT Right?" in the pocket

11. Ian Michael Gumby
    Stop

Don't blame SAP...

Look,

Its easy to blame SAP for being the cause. Its not really that simple.

The more flexible the software, the more difficult it is to implement with less than fully trained individuals. By fully trained, not only do they have to know the software and its configuration but also the business problem that they are trying to solve.

It would be more realistic in blaming IBM for not properly staffing the project as well as level setting the expectations of the end customer.

In addition, any switching to a new system means that the operators have to be retrained. Not always the easiest thing to do....

12. Adam Johnston

Brings back memories

I remember DEC/Compaq migrating to SAP to replace all their bespoke in house systems so that presumably they could get rid of all those expensive database developers. In the end SAP required so much support that they had to keep all those expensive database developers as SAP consultants.

Bearing in mind that one of their in house database systems evolved into alta-vista the in house developers were not too shabby. SAP on the other hand...

What do you mean I need to enter transaction code 'MM083'?

Hello IS? I've just launched SAP and I think the Graphics have fallen off my GUI.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MIS- The Illusion of Control

SAP failures are the logical outcome of managers obsession with control. Don't try to over-centralize command, and SAP will work. Of course, if you aren't an OCD case, you won't perceive any need for SAP in the first place. I can't really complain about SAP though, it kept my older brother in a job for years, up until his employer went under. Posting as anonymous coward as I hope he'll find work again before I have to take him in. Roll on the SAP deployments, say I!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

SAP?

[S]tops [A]ll [P]rogress.

That is all.

Utter, utter, utter shite.

16. The Dorset Rambler
    Thumb Up

Somerset?

All cnuts.

Serves them right.

17. Dick
    Stop

I don't get it

All I ever hear about SAP is multi million dollar horror stories but they somehow manage to keep signing up new customers.

18. Kevin Bailey

Amazing...

...but true.

My brother-in-law was introduced to their new SAP system in his branch of a very large power tool manufacturer.

Him and various other staff looked on in amazement as the system scrolled up before them - it was in the wrong language! They're in Sweden and the system works in English only. This was true for the system across most of Europe - English was the only option.

I know the Swede's are generally pretty good with English - but surely a warehouse shelf stacker shouldn't need to be bi-lingual!

And the shame is that the system cost millions - if they didn't even get the multi-language side right for a Europe wide system then it makes you wonder what else they got wrong.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

SAPping me slowly

We are implementing SAP. So far:

The project is over a year behind schedule and falling further behind every day.

The cost is more than double what was originally stated (and still climbing)

We were told that we would have 5 consultants - we have had over 40

They would manage the system - they don't, they send meaningless instructions to people that have had no training and expect us to fix things.

They would supply all required training material - however, none of it actually tells you how to do a given task it's just high level management buzzwords

Several of the key modules still don't work at all - CRM, links to email, document storage etc.

They spent 5 months creating the relevant output documents (invoice etc) and most are not correct yet.

They had a separate team for an overseas site - the project has been abandoned as the cost was over €120,000 and they hadn't actually achieved anything.

I could go on, but won't as I just get so angry. In the time that it has taken, I could have written an in house application for a fraction of the cost.

@Dick

The reason they keep signing new customers, is that they target the senior managers and feed them BS - as they don't understand technology, and generally don't understand correct project methodology, they lap up the utter crap that the SAP sales people feed them.

Anon as I rather like my job

20. Anonymous Coward
    Go

SAP is great...

I think any company that creates jobs for contractors and consultants who can charge between £500-£1500 a day should be applauded for their efforts.

And to be fair, if the Somerset Council are paying these prices, and still getting crap delivered, then whose fault is it? The consultancy who rake in the money for minimum effort and cost, or the customer who doesn't really understand what they are implementing?

21. risrach
    Thumb Up

I don't understand why businesses use SAP

Consistent coverage like this makes me wonder why any business uses SAP. I understand that 5,000 person companies have no other option really but for the 50-1,000 person business to buy SAP is really comical. For some sales guy to sell an SAP system to a 500 person business is almost criminal. Its an archaic, expensive, hard to use system no matter what some SAP executive or sales person says.

Rob

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sack the management

In most of these cases, the management have blindly blundered on accepting ridiculous claims, whilst denying good adverse advice.

In doing so they have demonstrated that they are not up to the job and should be dismissed for incompetence forthwith.

In Dorset from a highly personalised efficient system before the management changed, we still have this change to SAP fiasco to come.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like