back to article Intel paying $884m for Wind River?

Financially struggling chip maker Intel is paying $884m to take over embedded operating system supplier Wind River Systems. Why would it do that, you may ask. Well, the best answer, of course, is because it can. Intel's launching and continuing support of the Moblin variant of Linux for netbooks shows that the chip maker knows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not entirely surprising

VxWorks is the core of IOS-KR. That sort of thing is nice to have in house

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Rupert Fiennes...

I think you mean "QNX's Neutrino" and "IOS-XR", so er... no. VxWorks has plenty of successful implementations, but that isn't one of them.

3. Ramazan
    Linux

@Rupert

IOS XR does use QNX, never heard about KR thing though (except the K&R C of course).

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Lars Silver badge
    Alert

MontaVista next

to be sucked into some "black hole" then.

6. Eric Garner

struggling?

I'm not sure how one paints Intel as "financially struggling". it's maintained profitibility, has cash in the bank, and is continuing to do research.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Full circle

Intel used to have their own POSIX-ey RTOS - iRMX - until the 90s when they flogged it off, deciding operating systems weren't worth the hassle.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Just another iteration

I wonder if Intel will do to Wind River what Wind River has done with everyone they have bought out. About the worst news an embedded developer can get is "Wind River is buying out your RTOS vendor" since you get to start all over again.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like