back to article Nokia's Ovi store mostly unavailable and empty

It's been two days since Nokia's Ovi application store opened for business, and we had hoped to bring you some recommended apps by now, but Ovi's shelves are still very empty as Nokia's openness could yet prove Ovi's downfall. While the web-based store has been bouncing up and down we have had success in using the on-device …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dawid Lorenz
    Thumb Down

All confirmed

I gave Ovi Store a try yesterday on my E71, and unfortunately I have to confirm all concerns that Bill has in this review. Application is quite slow to navigate, UI is not very intuitive and well thought-through, and selection of apps is rather poor. After seeing Android Market for a first time just few days back, I cannot be impressed with Ovi Store at all.

But, at the end of the day the success mostly depends on developers and their willingness (or not) to publish their apps through it... Time will tell.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aaaaaaargh

How can Nokia get this soooo wrong. They've been making the best UIs for ever. How can they screw up the user experience so badly?

I don't want a fucking iPhone. I want my Nokia to have all those cool apps that the Apple weenies go on about. Is that so much to ask?

Having registered for Ovi, I can't even find the crappy app store. Am I missing something.

Grrrr.

3. Richard Cartledge

Looks crap

The text isn't even anti-aliased.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

After two days

I think I will give them some more days, or to be realistic, some months.

5. Will
    Thumb Down

Fail

Thats All

6. Danny Thompson
    IT Angle

"... take on the chaps from Cupertino"

Oh give it a rest Nokia. You're 'avin a giraffe!

I think its long gone the time for Nokia to give it up, admit they haven't got the beginnings of a bloody clue and licence some technology from either Apple or Google Android camps.

If there is one thing that Nokia do dreadfully it is software. They really have not got the foggiest!

IT? - Because Nokia wouldn't know IT if it fell on their foot

7. Chris Beach

Can't even get the app...

Can't even get the app on my N95 8gb...and no the website isn't a good enough alternative.

8. gjw
    Happy

Worked fine

Worked fine last time I had a peek. I could select different handsets and accordingly get the software. After selecting what I wanted I received an sms and downloaded my selection. It was that simple, actually.

Would like them to offer more stuff, but that's all.

9. James

No problem here

Worked fine for me on my N85, not had any problems at all. Admittedly the choice in apps is a little thin but there's a few good ones there which I've already pulled down to my handset. No problems with payment or anything else on it.

I think the main problem is the sheer range of handsets Nokia are going to have to support this on. Give it six months for people to upgrade their contract handsets and most of the problems'll disappear. Hopefully it won't take that long for people to start developing for the store, and more importantly for Nokia to link in a lot of their other services to the one portal.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Older phones

Try upgrading your firmware via Nokia Software Updater. The OVI client uses libraries that aren't shipped on older firmware versions. Apparently

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

E51

No problems at all....got a very nice France24 video player...

12. paul
    Thumb Up

a very good start

i been on ovi a few time since it opened and i think that nokia have made a very good start not many apps yet but what do you expect give it a few months and i think it will almost be as good as the iTunes app store it just needs time for more apps to be added and when the n97 comes out i think there will be lots more apps on ovi p.s. i cant wait for the n97 to come out.

13. Yorkshirepudding
    Jobs Horns

oye bitches

DO STFU! give the guys a chance i downloaded the store app onto my 5800 and i think it works rather well, seems to move at a decent pace and yes some of the content is a bit crappy (star trek nokia ringtone lol wtf) but give it time and hopefully it will blossom i found it easy to navigate and easy to filter stuff with.

14. Dominic Kua

How did you do it?

I've managed to get the SMS once out of four tries, no client, it won't sync and the page renders like a cow on Opera and firefox for me.

I'd like to use it, but I don't think my e65 is going to let me.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No client

N80 - no client offered for download, and apparently the client is only available to newer WRT compatible phones.

I do get the mobi site though, but it's not only a terrible design, it's incredibly slow to scroll down each page and navigate. Fail.

Worse is Widsets is set to be scrapped as it's supposed to be replaced with the Ovi Store app. Widsets worked fine as it was a Java app.

Anyway, the real test will be how the N97 copes. The launch is likely dependent on it (and yet still ovi.com itself has serious contact syncing issues which cause loss of data).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like