back to article Swedish factory fined $3,000 for robot attack

Evil geniuses take note: a near-fatal robot attack only costs an organization about $3,000 in Sweden these days. Swede online rag The Local has reported that a factory north of Stockholm has been fined 25,000 kronor (£2,100) after a malfunctioning bot nearly killed one of its workers. The robo-assault reportedly took place in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Codge
    Stop

Serves him right!

It should have interlocks at least. If not he should have locked off the isolator and kept the key on his person.

Bloody amateur. Almost a Darwin award winner.....

Should have pressed it!

2. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

The robots last words ...

"I'll be back."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I shouldn't laugh...

but the image of a robot grabbing some poor sap by his bonce and waving him about makes me chuckle!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It would have been very different here

Our OH&S laws are stifling. The Government investigation would have taken weeks and shut down half the facility in the process. The insurance investigation would follow. The media would have made it front page, national news. The fine would have been in hundreds of thousands. And, *someone* in management would have been found responsible and charged.

5. Hud Dunlap
    Happy

What about LOTO

In the U.S. if he had been following the proper log out/ tag out procedures this wouldn't have happened.

6. Stephan Grieger

More Info Required

What did this guy do to defend himself against this rock moving robot and why did that break 4 ribs?

That I think might be a very handly thing to post in case you find yourself in that situation.

7. garbo
    Boffin

Soooo PC

"...man attempted to repair a defective machine used to lift rocks without properly checking the power supply beforehand."

So the company is fined because an idiot acts like an idiot? Shouldn't the idiot be fined for wasting the company's time?

Mine's the head with the functioning brain...

8. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

I for one

welcome our new, grab-the-head-and twist overlords

9. Al

Darwinism red in (gear)tooth and (robot)claw

Come on, the critical part here is that the guy didn't check the power properly before fiddling about trying to get it to work again. Maybe there should have been failsafes, but it's not like the machine went on a rampage all by itself.

10. Goatan

But . . .

what does such a robot look like?? Used to lift rocks?? That sounds like a crazy needless waste of a good killbot.

PS POIDH

Playmobile Or It Didn't Happen

11. alan
    Thumb Up

I for one

welcome our head-grabbing robot hand overlords.

just had to...... :)

12. Barry

ROTM, indeed.

Clear evidence of the need for the First Law.

13. breakfast Silver badge
    Happy

Oldie but a goldie

A robot walks into the bar, lays down his money and asks for a whiskey.

"I'm sorry sir," says the barman, "we don't serve robots."

"Oh but someday you will," the robot replies.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Huge EMP...

It's the only way to be sure..

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

robocop

reminds me of robocop

16. Anonymous John

Three laws of Robotics.

Fail.

17. Ian Sneyd
    Coat

If it's not on YouTube....

It didn't happen...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Here's a dramatization...

Here's a dramatization of how the attack might have happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PplLSmqfPtc&feature=fvsr

19. Dan
    Thumb Up

playmobil, playmobil, playmobil!

Just do it already!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sigurd what?

What that gibberish after Sigurd? That doesn't sound like Swedish at all...

21. JayB
    Alert

Music & Media

Am I the only person confused as to why a psycho robot with a penchant for pretending to mistake a squishy human head for a rock is the Music and Media bit???

Music with rocks in?

Hmm... maybe unbeknowst to us all the machine was actually trying to do us a favour and take out a moron (who doesn't power down large bits of industrial kit when "repairing"???? Morons, that's who...).

Bo**cks to any form of overlords be they Robot or Gordons

22. Luis Ogando
    Happy

@AC 'I Shouldn't Laugh..'

You know, if you've got a Wii and go to the Mii parade thing, you can grab the Miis by their heads and shake them about a bit.

Perhaps this is what the bloke looked like.... Now I'm chuckling too!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE:Darwinism red in (gear)tooth and (robot)claw

Sounds to me like the SkyNet PR damage control machine going into action.

Look, his name is even AI..

24. Avalanche

Klaatu Barada Nikto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_barada_nikto

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doncha just love H&S

Employers just can't win in cases like this.

If an employee does something stupid H&S will get the employer for failling to ensure that correct procedures were followed. How on earth they expect employers to do this I don't know. Do you make sure somebody from HR follows every member of staff to make sure they are following procedures? What if the person from HR is an idiot too? (Ahem!) Do you get somebody else to monitor the HR staff.

Or was the employer's crime that they gave a job to an idiot?

26. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Flame

H&S is everyones responsibility - FINE HIM!

In the UK, the health and safety of every worker is the responsibility of every worker. If he didn't take the proper responsibility for his own health, HE should be the one fined.

IANAL; that is why this is written in clear English and makes sense :)

27. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Lucky

Luck for him that the robot only detected one rock rather that two

Paris, who also knows how to grab you by the rocks

28. W

Re: your byline.

Nice one.

My browser home page is about:robots

For folks who are unaware, stick about:robots into your Firefox address bar for a little easter egg.

29. Simon B
    Thumb Up

What an idiot!!

The dickhead should have made sure the machine was disconnected, what an idiot!!

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Health and Safety etc.

It is simply that companies have responsibility for the actions of their employees, along with the employees themselves.

In this case the company failed H&S because they employed someone to do a job who either was not properly trained (company responsibility for training) or elected to disregard the rules (company responsibility for employing wrong type of people).

I assume that the injured employee has either been sent for training or disciplined for failing to follow H&S rules- the level of discipline will be determined by his past record, company policy and local employment legislation.

For those thinking it is stupid to fine the company in this case, you have to look at the bigger picture - what would you expect if someone else had been injured (a YTS Hoodie, a nosy aged member of the public etc.) because of this guy's actions? Would you want the company to pony up compensation?

31. James
    Joke

@ Here's a dramatization

"By Anonymous Coward Posted Wednesday 29th April 2009 09:32 GMT

Happy

Here's a dramatization of how the attack might have happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PplLSmqfPtc&feature=fvsr

"

Hahahaaaaaaa. That's hilarious. Though I thought it would have been more like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoA-m5iHG9s

32. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Wires crossed

I hadn't programmed my robotic army to begin "the great realignment" until next year.

Oh well, at least the test was successful, they do respond with anger to anyone who attempts to tamper with their insides (just like you or I would).

Now all I have to do is start dishing out the lasers, mwah ha ha

33. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Oliver Sacks

will be writing another book soon I guess.

34. sage
    Go

re: More Info Required

Do a barrel roll.

35. David Jackson
    Thumb Up

@By Avalanche

Thanks for the link, it lead me to 'about:robots' in FF3.

Be afraid, very afraid...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like