back to article Orange hears his master's voice

Orange has signed a deal with HMV to put franchise operations into the high-street retailer's stores, emphasising how much mobile telephony has encroached on the media industry. The deal puts what Orange calls "show and sell" spaces into HMV shops, where Orange staff can demonstrate to punters why they don't need a dedicated …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Toastan Buttar
    Happy

Virgin did this ages ago

I wonder how successful Virgin mobile phone sales were from within Virgin stores as opposed to other outlets ?

My wife's Orange Berlin makes for a great multi-media...thing. I quite fancy one for myself, but then my mobile phone allows me to make phone calls whilst mobile, so I can't justify an upgrade.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Bah Humbug

It's all very well telling us that you can use your swiss army phone to listen to music, watch films, take photos, make coffee, play games etc but when what you want is a phone with enough battery life left to complete the important business call you've just received.

You're better off carrying two devices with you. And chances are the purpose built MP3 player/MP4 player/camera/caffetierre/console will be better suited to the task anyway.

3. M
    Happy

@ Bah humbug AC

Very good! You alluded to a 'cafetiere' as a cell phone feature and no phone has that feature! I derived much humour from your remark.

Well done!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Virgin did this ages ago

@Toastan Buttar

The hilarious thing about this is, the Virgin store in Manchester's Arndale Centre did have a phone counter in it, which even survived after the store became a "Zavvi".

What was the Zavvi (and previously the Virgin store) is now......

HMV!

I've not been in there for a while, so I'm curious to see if they'll carry on flogging Virgin phones or if they're going to boot Virgin out and start pimping for Orange...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019