back to article AT&T seeks additional year of iPhone lock-in

AT&T is reportedly trying to cajole Apple into adding another year onto their iPhone-exclusivity deal, extending it until 2011. The Wall Street Journal has reported that AT&T chief executive Randall Stephenson has been in discussions with Apple about the possible extension. AT&T investors and employees will no doubt be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh please

"despite what many Americans may feel, they represent only five per cent of the world's six billion people"

You try and get an American to believe they aren't the centre of the universe. Go on try it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh please

People raised in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I grew up learning that the sun never set on the British Empire. We didn't think we were the center of the Universe, we thought we were the universe!

Stop the bashing them. It reeks of jealously and evinces an unjustified inferiority complex. That plus it's just boring.

3. Danny Thompson

The Apple choice is simple

Cater for a domestic market or think global. If the latter then the LTE/WiMAX battle is over before it has begun. Sprint may well be doing all it can to lay out WiMAX, good for it. But the reality elsewhere is that LTE will be the driver, as GSM is in this day and age. For Apple to ignore that would be to their commercial disadvantage. And Apple are not exactly reknowned for their lack of commercial nous. They learn very quickly, witness how they responded to their near-goof with the original iPhone 2G. They have the sales figures to show what brining out a 3G handset did for them. They'll not be repeating that little exercise in how to ignore the rest of the world again.

We may well see "local editions" for the US market, and that would make some sense. But the rest of the world will see 3G and later 4G (LTE) from Cupertino. Failing that every single other manufacturer will jump into whatever vacuum Apple create by miscalculating this one.

Good luck to AT&T, if they can pull it off they'll have won a major coup. I don't think we'll be seeing a repeat in Europe though.

4. Trokair
    Stop

RE: Oh please

Just a quick lesson.

#1. Not all people in America are idiots. That is a lovely persona broadcasted by everyone's tv.

#2. You are an idiot. For believing everything you see on tv.

Now for the commet. I'd have no loss of sleep if AT&T and the iPhone went under, nor do I care if they get the iPhone for another year or another 30. I buy a phone using a weighted system of usefullness. Reception/Signal Strength is at the top of that system hence, AT&T is at the bottom of the list.

5. OmniCitadel
    Flame

Dear God NOOOOO!!!!

AT&T has an iron grip on their service price for the I-phone. Forcing mandatory additional packages and extortionist prices. Give me a break to match my $45 t-mobile plan against an I-phone on At&t it would run me $130 (including taxes...) and i would lose 100 minutes.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

re: learning that the sun never set on the British Empire

Isn't that pretty much true?

You've got Australia, Hong Kong, Burma?, India, areas of the Middle East, lots of Africa, Gibraltar, the UK, islands in the Caribbean, America, the Falklands and countless other places, all part of the Empire at some time or another.

I think you'll find that the sun was shining in at least one of those places at any given time.

Stop being so figurative and think more literally!

The British think they're important because they owned most of the world at some point.

The Americans think they're important because they don't know that the rest of the world exists.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Why?

Would you want to be locked-in to 3 years with a crap deal and shit phone?

8. Ted Treen
    Black Helicopters

Some things I won't be told.....

I will be replacing my K-RAZR shortly. I would like an iPhone - but it's not available from Orange. I've been with Orange - on contract - for over 10 years and haven't had a problem. In fact I've always found them to be obliging & helpful.

I am just not going to change my telephone service provider to get an iPhone - and I'm an Apple fan and have been a Mac user for over 20 years.

I often wonder how many there are who, like me, would have an iPhone but aren't prepared to change networks.

Still, the Samsung M8800 Pixon looks quite nice....

BH - 'cos whatever I get will be monitored by the whacky one.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@re: learning that the sun never set on the British Empire

Absolutely true, on all points. As a Brit living in the US, I came to accept the fact a long time ago that - as far as they're concerned - if it ain't American, then ignore/undermine/blow it up. I work for a global company and even some of the clever people still struggle with the idea of other places in different timezones. Plus, never ask someone to explain the difference between England and Britain...

As for the story - well, AT+T doesn't even advertise the iphone. So maybe they're not that interested in it at all...?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@re: learning that the sun never set on the British Empire

"The British think they're important because they owned most of the world at some point" How's that again? Because we trounced a bunch of boomarang/stone/spear throwing natives (Australia, Africa, Canada, the Caribbean) with carbines and cannon? That means we are justified in our arrogance? How much of the world today could stand against a marine carrier battle group other than UK, Russia, China, and maybe France? Just as Britain was then, the US is now the ONLY superpower around. So by your logic their entitled to the sense of superiority ascribed. Your supporting the case that people rasied in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but you probably can't see that.

I also live in the US and work for a global company. For the most part Americans are no different than any one else and if you get to know them they're pretty decent people. They seem arrogant to us, as do the French, the Germans, the Japanese, etc. And we seem arrogant to all of them - Platini isn't trying to kick us out of Europe just because the CL always ends as a matchup between ManU, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsnal. They kicked us out once before because we weren't the most humble of guests - remember?

I live here and I like living here (AC 15:54 if you don't like it - go home). But comments like "oh please" just make it harder for ex pats and subjects of England/Britain/UK/Her Majesty's realms and dominions, et al. should not be denouncing others for being arrogant.

Please keep it to the tech. At least there we can be proud since the Iphone is ours, at least according to Gordon ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like