back to article Animal rights group protests seal clubbing in World of Warcraft

Animal rights stunt-group PETA' is protesting Canada's culling of adorable baby seals this year by hosting a battle royale in World of Warcraft. This Saturday, PETA is calling on activist gamers to combat a team of Horde "seal killers" set on bashing soft, furry heads on WoW's Whisperwind server. The demonstration takes place …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Time to get out my seal clubbing chainsaw!!! :-)

It will be loads of fun clubbing PETArds into submission with dead baby seals and tossem on the barbeque for dinner. :-)

WooT!

2. Steve

I see one small problem

More people are likely to try and join the seal hunt than try to stop it.

3. Seán

Wowank

Can someone set up an event where people can torture and vivisect members of PETA. I despise the very idea of WoW but I'd gladly shell up the bread to get a chance to use my vegan pliers.

4. David
    Unhappy

Too bad for continued Animal Rights lies

Hey... I know this is just a game, and its just a bunch of idiots at PETA, but the "cute white" baby seals are NOT killed in the ACTUAL hunt (nor have they been for 30 years!).

Unfortunately, the humour from the game just helps to spread the lies that PETA, HSUS, and Sea Sheppard Society likes to spread...

/me steps off soapbox

David.

5. storng.bare.durid
    Thumb Down

PvE server?

Lame... Just lame...

6. Don S.

Ummm

"PETA's sealing protest begins Saturday, April 11 at 1 PM EST."

A little late to the party, considering the hunting of baby seals has been outlawed since 1987.

7. Joe

I read that title...

And thought - Seal clubbing - in WoW?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't the police do this

in real life, and to humans not seals.

How about clubbing the virtual seal and then it has a heart attack; you have to make sure the cleric has been paid off beforehand though, and just claim natural causes.

Tomlinson.

9. The Mighty Spang
    Thumb Up

cool

im signing up for WOW. do you get a club to start with or do i have to blow somebody to get one?

10. Ed

LOL

When i get home tonight I am starting a guild call "Please Eat The Animals"

Mwhahahahah

11. Bob

Hmm

No mention that PETA already make an appearance in the game, satirised (or not...) as extremely violent defenders of the local wildlife?

http://www.wowhead.com/?achievement=561

12. Steve Roper
    Thumb Up

Wrong game to preach in!

@The Mighty Spang: Don't bother... you have to be at least level 68 to get to Howling Fjord, and if you haven't played before, it'll take you around 6 months to get there - and then only if you chuck your social life and spend every spare moment playing!

It strikes me as funny that PETA should choose WoW as a forum for their pro-wildlife protests. My main (level 80 night elf) is a skinner / leatherworker whose primary income is gained by slaying and skinning any and all wildlife that crosses my path. Since most of the high-level items I make require vast amounts of leather (like the skins of 150 shoveltusks to make 1 set of leg armour for example) I often go on farming sprees where I sweep back and forth across an area AoEing down whole herds at a time.

Although the baby seals are "critters" not "beasts", so even though even a level 1 could 1-hit them the only thing you'll ever get by skinning them is an item called "Ruined Leather Scraps" - of which you need 3 to make 1 "Light Leather". That's ok for making items for level 1- 10s, but not worth the bother for anyone higher; so the only reason the baby seals are there is for us sadistic fucks who play WoW to go around nuking them for laughs!

Interestingly, there's an organisation in the game called D.E.H.T.A. (Druids for Ethical and Humane Treatment of Animals) based directly on PETA. There's also a quest achievement called "D.E.H.T.A.'s Little P.I.T.A." that you get by exterminating the hunters and trappers of the wildlife in Borean Tundra. The tongue-in-cheek attitude of the questgivers in this quest chain makes WoW's attitude towards PETA and their fanaticism quite clear, especially considering the Nesingwary mass-extinction quests you get to do later... so while PETA aren't preaching to the choir, they're wasting their time preaching to what to them amounts to the Church of Satan!

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Jedi Name Germinator

PETA are full of it!

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

Some tasty info there about these con artists....

15. Mostor Astrakan
    Unhappy

Hey! I resent that!

I did all the quests for D.E.H.T.A. and earned the "D.E.H.T.A.'s little P.I.T.A." achievement! I slaughtered the lackeys of Hemet Nessingwary, preventing them from devastating clam fields and trapping baby mammoths. I trapped them in their own traps using nothing but fake fur! Haha! Take that, you baby mammoth murderer!

Druids for the Ethical and Humane Treatment of Animals, since you asked. In the Borean Tundra. Level 80 elites, so if you want a piece of them, better bring a few friends. But hey... You can get the G.E.H.T.A. off them. Yes, Gun for the Ethical...

(Now has anyone got page bloody four of "Green Hills of Stranglethorn?")

16. Jesrad
    Coat

Hmmm, clubbed seals...

Clubbed Baby Seals.

Because feeding all those starving, endangered polar bears doesn't have to be boring.

I'll take the coat with the blood stains, thanks.

17. Herby

But I thought that PETA stood for

People Eating Tasty Animals. I hadn't heard of "Please Eat The Animals".

Written by a true carnivore!

Beef, its what's for Dinner! Mmmm Tasty!

18. Edward Miles
    Coat

BAN BABY SEAL CLUBBING!

They're too young to hold their alcohol, and they always request crap songs off the DJ. Not to mention the fact they pick up all the girls. Ban this menace now!

All right, all right, I'm going :)

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm...

Kill the fluffy seals (cute) or allow the fish (cold, slimy) stocks to get eaten by the overpopulation of seals (cute).

Hmm...

20. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Wear this whist playing

http://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shirts/stop-clubbing-baby-seals/

Yup - that'll do.

21. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Aw, cr*p!

If the marketing peeps at EMC see this the next product launch is going to be in the Cathedral in Stormwind. I can see the invites going out over LinkedIn now....

22. John Bayly
    Happy

So, a baby seal walks into a club

I pretended to read that one from a Christmas cracker one year, oh the joy of the dirty looks I got

23. Christoph

When that's over

Then PETA will get back to clubbing researchers?

24. Joe
    Heart

WoW audience not the best for PETA

There's a build on my server which would make them apoplectic with rage

<Seal Cub Clubbing Club>

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too busy

killing fluffy little bunnies in Warhammer :o)

Also, PETA are scum that deserve to be clubbed themselves. Stinking unwashed subhuman scum.

I'm off to get something dead for lunch, mmmmm.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Club them for their meat!

Any half-decent WOW player knows you kill these for chilled meat and not for their skins (leather scraps only)...

You can AOE farm 20-30 of 'em at once if you are feeling especially sadistic.

People Eating Tasty Animals. Yum.

27. al
    Paris Hilton

But chimps need seal meat to get laid ?

Okay sorry. I'm mixing up 2 different stories here.

Even if I wanted to root for Animal rights, Peta makes it so hard for me to not want to spite them.

(ie I want to spite Peta, for grammatically challenged).

Besides I think world has palce for only one self righteous group at a time. So it's tree huggers for now. Peta can just shove it up their furry ass.

Paris, coz she would go clubbing with Seal.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Thank goodness for PETA

If not, where would that next sarnie be?

Erm, yes; I mean People Eating Tasty Animals.

29. Kanhef
    Thumb Down

Vid is gone

I wonder who complained and got it removed.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wahoo

My horde toon ClubbingJoy is ready to go.. time to wash down a few tasty baby seal burgers with some alliance blood.. yum yum..

31. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Let's settle this like Canadians

Have PETA send over their best hockey team and we'll sort them.

Survivors, ahem, I mean, Winners get to say who clubs who.

If PETA wins (unlikely) they get to feed the families who depend on the seal hunt in one of the poorest areas of Canada. It's easy to criticize others when your 2,000 miles away and under nourish your children by choice (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/31/perversions_of_nature/ )

so puck off, PETA, eh!

(mines the one with the touque in the pocket, even in July)

This topic is closed for new posts.