back to article Wattpad furnishes iPhone with bootleg books for bupkes

The literato's Pirate Bay, Wattpad, has reached the iPhone and iPod Touch, offering community scribblings and copyrighted material through an Apple-sanctioned client. While iPhone owners who want to pay for electronic reading material can install Amazon's Kindle service or the Stanza, those who prefer to avoid paying for books …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Roy Stilling

Estate of Brian Aldiss?

Unless you know something I and Wikipedia don't, he's still alive.

2. Jared Earle
    Go

Nice advert

I wonder how many people just downloaded Wattpad on the back of your shining review ...

3. Abel Lineberger
    Unhappy

Not working on iPod Touch

FYI -

This application is apparently for the iPhone only at this time. It will not install onto an iPod Touch.

4. Tom
    Thumb Down

anyone interested in pilfering from the estates of...

What? The site transfers money from the estates bank account into mine?

5. James Pickett (Jp)
    Thumb Up

Works on Mine

"I wonder how many people just downloaded Wattpad on the back of your shining review"

I did. Searched on all the Authors you mention and all came back 'No results' (Out of curiosity, when it comes to books, I love the real thing) - so I'm thinking they're pretty good at catching out the copyright stuff.

Working very well on my ipod touch too :-)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Great advert

Thanks for the Wattpad advert - if I get a second I'll take a look ...

Meanwhile "While iPhone owners who want to pay for electronic reading material can install Amazon's Kindle service or the Stanza"

or they can install the _free_ eReader app. I've migrated most of my eReader content from my Palm T3 to iPod Touch because it just is such a good app - turning the page by flicking the screen feels so natural, and looks good. Tried one of those fancy Sony eBook readers, and got to say that eReader was just 'nicer' to use, so I won't be 'trading up' anytime soon. And if you're not that fussy about content then eReader/Fictionwise do some free content. :)

7. xjy
    Paris Hilton

Where's it all gonna end?

Hang for a lamb, hang for a sheep.

Scrumping is theft! Hang 'em high!

Borrowing books from libraries - Communism gone mad!

Lending an un-DRMed paperback to a mate? 10 years in the nick, at the very least.

The Law is going mad. We should put the Law out of its misery ASAP.

Copywrong for ever and ever and ever and ever, amen.

Or as the anarchists used to say: "Property is Theft". Not that it got them very far, even if the sentiment is laudable.

(Paris cos her end is laudable)

8. Steven Hunter
    Stop

Thank God!

Thank the Lord, more eBook software! 'Cause what reading really needed was to become more expensive and complicated.

"Pratchett's work has all but disappeared, and only a few Harry Potter titles are still available, but anyone interested in pilfering from the estates of Asimov, Clarke or Aldiss will be well rewarded."

I wonder when the book equivalent of the RIAA/MPAA willtry and get Libraries outlawed?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like