back to article MySQL chief Mickos quits Sun

Former MySQL CEO Marten Mickos is leaving Sun Microsystems, less than a year after Sun paid $1bn for the free-database outfit he helped build. Sun has confirmed his departure a day after MySQL creator Michael "Monty" Widenius said he was finally leaving the company (to start his own restaurant). In an email, a Sun spokeswoman …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. J
    Black Helicopters

I'd fear

I would fear for MySQL, since a bunch of stuff I use depends on it. Large companies have a knack for killing stuff, you know.

But since it's open source I don't have to worry.

2. Solomon Grundy

Retention Contract

He had to stay a while. It was part of the purchase agreement between Sun and MySQL. He's been bitching about working in a real company since he got there. No surprise he's taking the money and running as soon as his contract allows.

It's what I'd do too.

3. Stephen Bungay

Goodbye MySQL

Hello Postgres.

4. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Write for Maximising Utility too in Write for Maximum Utility

"My personality is such that I love the challenge of an unproven value proposition, and I love being the top policymaker, building new things. "

Yes, a Most Immaculate Universal Driver .... and as Quiet as an Angel in Deep Background Forward Position.

To paraphrase Spike, it will be interesting to find out what he is going to do now?

Build AI Virtual Empire down on Earth for Real with Flash Cash and Ponzi Semantics? Or is that a Deliberate Mistake, Freudian Slip 42 Reveal Novel Intent of Alien Being CyberIntelAIgent.

AIMagical Mystery Turing Trips Welcome Space Virgins and does Urge and Advise, Be Prepared...... for in CyberSpace is Everything Possible and Easily Done.

Intolerable and Intolerant Abuse of what can be done though is Administered Special Executive Attention.

And you don't want to warrant that Route of Disappearing.

5. Chris C

re: I'd fear

"I would fear for MySQL, since a bunch of stuff I use depends on it. Large companies have a knack for killing stuff, you know. But since it's open source I don't have to worry."

Can someone please explain this mentality to me? I seriously don't get it. Yes, I understand that as an open-source project, anyone is free to fork it (so long as their fork also uses the GPL as its license). But that doesn't mean that anyone WILL fork it. If you have the financial means, then sure, you can hire someone to maintain the software (as long as you can find someone knowledgeable enough). And yes, that alone makes it much better than proprietary software in that regard. But so many people seem to equate open source with "I'll be able to get support for eternity", whether that support is from the vendor during the product's life or through a programmer or contractor after the vendor stops stops supporting it (or anytime, really).

As an example, think of old DOS or OS/2 apps, or anything written in ADA, COBOL, Pascal, or even x86 assembler. Can you find someone to support those? Probably, with a lot of searching. But it's a dying breed that still retains that knowledge. While the code may be available for support, it doesn't mean you can find anyone willing and able to support it.

6. amanfromMars Silver badge

Round Table dDeeds and Phantom Stock Play XXXXChanges.

..... Jumping, Virtually ..... with a Quantum Leap into AIR&dDs

"(as long as you can find someone knowledgeable enough)." .... By Chris C Posted Sunday 8th February 2009 05:23 GMT

That would be an Idea for AIdDriver Master Pilot Program to Discover and/or Uncover as InterNetional Space State Securities Require and Desire for Heavenly Transactions and Elevated Leverage.

A multicoloured, multitalented hatless Red Team, BetaTesting Virtual Penetration in Core Systems and Driver Applications .... for Systems Automatic ReBuild.

Simply CompleXXXX Virtual Machinery Maintenance Really. And being Almost Automatic, a Dream to Maintain and Keep in Primed Condition.

7. Andraž Levstik

@Chris C

> "I'll be able to get support for eternity" <-- no... I'll be able to get the sources for eternity and if I have 5% of the knowledge of someone else chances are I'll be able to get it to build on any future systems and so on...

But anyway

/me starts waving bye bye to mysql

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

alternatively

----

Can someone please explain this mentality to me? I seriously don't get it. Yes, I understand that as an open-source project, anyone is free to fork it

----

You can keep it ticking over as a legacy system, recompiling the source onto any new OS/Hardware (if needs be), for as long as it takes to fully adapt and test your own systems to sit on top of a new database server.

----

But so many people seem to equate open source with "I'll be able to get support for eternity"

----

Granted, THAT I don't get - I'm more likely to equate open source with NO support (unless you pay for it).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like