back to article First 'fully accurate' totally voice-controlled phone unveiled

You’d probably expect a groundbreaking mobile phone to be developed deep inside Nokia’s HQ or in a military bunker. However, a supposedly super-secure handset described as the world’s first truly hands-free mobile has, in fact, been designed on an industrial estate in Hereford, UK. Can't see the video? Download Flash Player …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Should have checked your copy with Lewis first

Developed in a secure location?

I think this town is pretty safe as far as the UK goes.

Stirling (sic) stuff.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vaporware alert

"...that the company told the BBC is 100 per cent secure"

Oh what's that? You're 99% of the way to market and just need another £500k? Well, as you're so close...

3. OzBob
    Joke

contextual problems with voice recognition,....

like when the guy in the automated house at a technology expo exclaimed "b*gger me"!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Oh now, come on!

Seriously, I know the Reg is just pleased to pass on something pretending it to be news, but this is getting ridiculous. It's a lark, obviously. A "super-secret" factory filled with housewives and soldering irons, developing a state-of-the-art phone? Called the Zumba, which has a website. Called the Zumba Lumpa? Either the Reg is in on this hoax, or they've just proven that they have absolutely no editorial capacity. In which case, I'd like to apply for the job of senior editor please.

5. Adrian Barnett
    Thumb Down

Terrible idea

So now we are going to have to put up with kids all day shouting things like

"NEW TEXT RECIPIENTS SHAZZA BAZZA AND TEZZA". OH EMM GEE ELL OH ELL EXCLAMATION MARK SEE YOU LATER SEND TEXT"

Clever technology yes, I just feel it's going to be very, very annoying.

6. Joe K
    Thumb Down

"100 per cent secure"

Instant fail. No such thing.

And what if you have a cold, or other kind of sore throat, are you completely fucked then?

7. Pink Duck
    Boffin

Erm...

100% voice recognition accuracy?

100% secure?

I think not.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

100% secure..............

Danger Will Robinson........

9. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

It made me chuckle

It was a funny report not really aimed at anouncing the phone but a bit of a fishing exercise for VC funding, the beeb fell for it hook line & sinker as a 'good news story' in times of the credit crunchy nut cornflake economic missmanagement meltdown. The phone mockup was a couple of bits of styrofoam, not even a half decent photoshop 3d render!

Why steve, well perhaps he'll licence the technology!

10. jai

voice recognition txt msg?

what the hell? if you've got the time to speak your voice message into the phone, then why don't you just call them and have a frikken conversation?

and how smart is the software really? can it tell that someone over the age of 20 is dictating a SMS and so dictate their message word for word, but if the voice is more youthful sounded, will it translate on the fly from "Hi, how are you, what's the latest news?" to "how R U? N E new bants? lolz raaarrrr kthxby" ?

11. Ash
    Joke

Phone 100% Secure

Website 30%

12. Dom

Vapourfone.

My bet is that this is the first and last we'll hear of this. The Beeb can't show it working because it doesn't.

13. Steve Copley

Sniff, sniff, sniff...

Ahhhhh... The smell of vapourware wafting across Herefordshire!

14. tony72
    Thumb Down

Angling for investment, much?

"The technology is so top secret, I can't even give you a demonstration of how it works."

Yeah, right. Heard that before. If it works so well, they should be dying to show it in action, as doing so doesn't reveal any technical details about the implementation. This just indicates that it doesn't work as well as their PR would like you to believe.

"If you lose this phone, it's instantly useless to anyone else [blah blah] totally secure."

Yeah, right. How? 100% accurate voiceprint identification? I don't think so. If you have to authenticate yourself in some way, then it's not really any more secure than any existing phone that can be password locked. Indeed I'd be more worried about some website that's not under my control getting hacked than I would about someone going to the trouble of trying to decrypt data on my phone's internal storage.

Plus, this is a British company, and everyone knows we don't do consumer electronics innovation here any more, so this is pretty much guaranteed bullshit.

15. richard
    Stop

oh dear

the 'inventor' looks like yer typical mobile sales-clown. sorry, another gimmick that we'll never see again. back to the refineries, bbc.

16. jubtastic1

I can reveal the secret

The speech recognition is provided by Umpa Lumpas in Zumba mission control.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Psion

I wonder if Psion Computers would be releasing products like this today if they'd survived?

18. Dazzz

Hmmm

Bit light on facts that report wasnt it...

19. Skizz
    Stop

Something fishy...

There's footage of people hand soldering components - considering the size of the device and earpiece I doubt it was made in that factory. Looks like a plastic mock-up to me.

20. David Heys
    Alert

So let's get this right...

...that incredibly thin 'earpiece' has enough electronics to hold a speaker, microphone, transmitter/receiver and battery?

I had to check it wasn't April 1st.

21. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

100% secure

Anyone who claims 100% security immediately disqualifies themselves from being competent to discuss security.

22. Tony Barnes
    Pirate

lol

Have to agree with lots of the comments above, stinks of BS to me!

23. Doug Southworth
    Dead Vulture

Please...

The only thing missing from that crack job of reporting was the tag line "Call now, and we will instantly double your order!"

Terrible.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Dead Canary!

VAPOUR ALERT!

100% secure = impossible

100% Fully working = erm No

Did you see the workers? cutting 2mm wire? Dont use that in any mobile phone I've owned! Soldering (dear Yanks the L is not silent!) by hand? not in my mobile they arn't!

The size of the track on that PCB was about 3 mm across This thing is sooo FAKE!

25. Em

Not likely voice recognition

The device probably analyses the vibrations on the skull or jaw instead of actually analysing the human voice.

Jawbone uses this technique on their bluetooth headsets to filter background noise.

26. Lionel Baden
    Flame

lolz

No wonder they cant demo it because its a bloody mock up LOL

27. TeeCee Gold badge
    Stop

Re: 100% secure

Maybe they've borrowed the widely-reported "super-encryption" from Obarmy's crackberry?

Rumour has it that the NSA have a roadmap to super-duper-encryption, mega-super-duper-encryption and mega-super-duper-encryption-with-knobs-on.

28. Robert E A Harvey
    Paris Hilton

Green technology

I'm surprised this wasn't sold as 'green' because the earpiece is obviously made of cardboard.

Paris - she understands a mockery. Perhaps her new best fiend will want one.

29. Andy ORourke
    Joke

More concerned

that the 1st guy from the company bears more than a passing resemblance to Anton Dubeck from that dancing show the wife watches, what does he know about website security?

On that subject if they have developed a 100% secure web site technology I would guess they could make more from that than any poxy phone?

30. Richard
    Unhappy

Prior art?

Er, Wildfire, anyone? Before it canned by Orange? Apparently there were plans to expand into non-voice areas, such as reading out email and text, but the plug got pulled. It shouldn't have been too difficult to get her to take dictation and send it out as a text or email.

31. Stoobin
    Thumb Down

Whats that smell?

"If you loose this phone it is instantly useless to anyone else" -Thats right mate. It would probably be useless before I loose it. Because its not really a phone is it. Your just waving about a thin bit of plastic. I'd stick with your ejector seats. Good luck for the floatation.

32. 2FishInATank

Did anyone else spot.....

Did anyone else spot the bloke mentioning that the company was going to be floated on the stock exchange?

When I say the report last night my first thought was 'scam', and I've heard nothing to change my mind as yet!

33. Pete "oranges" B.
    Joke

It'll never catch on...

...everyone will want a little triangular one that they can clip to their shirt's left pocket! What's with this in the ear nonsense?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like