back to article France liberates Jesus Phone from Orange

On 18 September, French mobile-phone carrier Bouygues Telecoms complained to the country's competition council, charging that the agreement between Apple and Orange - the main brand of France Telecom - violates basic principles of competition. Today, the competition council - the Conseil de la concurrence - agreed with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Henry CP

Apple's pleasure levels

How (un)happy Apple are about this turn of events surely depends on what their contract with Orange says about this kind of legal trouble? My money's on the savvy buggers being covered for this kind of thing, and Orange coming off a little worse.

2. J
    Happy

Vive les Frogs!

I hope they ultimately succeed. Although I do rather like some of Apple's hardware (don't own more than an iPod though), I do believe they would be even more evil than Microsoft if they were in a comparable position of power.

3. Hate2Register
    Happy

Not pleased?

" Apple did not immediately respond to a request for their response to the ruling - but we assume they're not pleased. ® "

Nar me old hackster. Apple will be thrilled because everyone will be selling their crappy phone. Notice O2 is losing exclusivity in the UK. Having the iPhone sold exclusively by o2 lent it a chicness for early-adopters, but only those who were happy creating a new 02 account. For others, exclusivity meant denying punters the chance to buy.

They should have had a "select" list of sellers, instead of exclusivity. They would have sold more, while highlighting any fakes coming in from China. Yeah baby!

4. David Edwards
    Stop

Its not like its bread...

I am amazed at the "freedom shouters" who consider this restrictive business. So what if they sell their product in a certain way, its theirs, they invented it and built it, they can do what they want with it. If someone pays more wedge to Apple to sell it exclusively then they deserve the cash. If you don't like it buy another phone on another network (I did)

How would you like it if someone (Nu Lab) forced you to work for your local school, for less money, because they thought your exclusive contract with your employer was unfair and people who could only afford to pay less deserved your talents.

Like people in my town who complained to Tesco about them selling petrol too expensive as they were the only garage (for a whopping 4 or 5 miles). Why diddnt they just shop elsewhere for 1 month. There is something called "Consumer Sovereignty" which is basically vote with your cash.

5. Kevin Whitefoot

Re: It's not like it's bread ...

I agree with the headline.

But (of course ther is a but) you said: There is something called "Consumer Sovereignty" which is basically vote with your cash.

I say why not vote with your vote.

Which is presumably (to some extent) what the French have done.

I get the point about consumer sovereignty but I don't see why it should supersede political sovereignty. (and neither deserve initial caps).

6. Ross Fleming

And as pointed out elsewhere...

Blackberry Storm - Vodaphone

Android phone - T-Mobile

HTC thingmy-bob - Orange

Sure there are Sony Ericsson's kicking around that are similarly designed 'exclusively'

Not convinced of the fuss here - but if the French agree, it must be sound...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Yawn...

Anyone else getting fed up of Iphone this iphone that stories? come on reg - move along - nothing to see here.....

8. Alex Rose

@Jim Booth

If you're sick of iPhone stories then don't read them. That's what headlines are for, so that you can use your brain to make a decision.

(Happy owner of a G1, happy owner of not a single Apple product before the predictable accusations of fanboyism start flying).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Maybe there's more to it....

As Mr. Bouygues (CEO of Bouygues Telecom) is a close personal friend of Sarky.

And once you've got the ear of the head of state, then the opportunities are endless.

Yesterday Sarky banned advertising on the public television channels in favor of the commercial channels, like TF1, which is owned by.....Mr. Bouygues.

So maybe there is a hidden agenda there, allegedly of course.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.....

Let's see how easy it is to get an iPhone in France after this ruling......

@Yawn....

Ever thought of checking the headling and deciding whether it's interesting to you? It's an IT related article and they are few and fare between on the Reg nowadays.

11. fluffels
    Jobs Halo

fecking nuts

It's absolutely fucking nuts how the iPhone's exclusivity agreements are anticompetitive and the suchlike, while they're perfectly acceptable for other handsets.

Hypocrites.

12. Mudslinger
    IT Angle

@Maybe there's more to it....

Ah, the French are little more subtle than the Italians then: the head of state is merely a friend of the main TV channel owner rather than being the same person.

13. Scott Mckenzie

O2 losing exclusivity in the UK

And where did you learn of this little gem? Apart from inside your own mind....!

14. Pavlovs well trained dog

even better

Fly to Cape Town, enjoy some fine summer sun, and buy yourself an unlocked - its yours to walk away with and do as you please - iphone.

Runs on any network, is not crippled at all..

You might cough at the price - a mere £495 for the 16GB...

15. Gulfie
    Stop

@Hate2Register

"while highlighting any fakes coming in from China"

What fakes are these, pray tell, that anyone would be fooled by? To put iPhone-like functionality into an iPhone-shaped package and make it look/run like an iPhone will be way too much trouble for counterfeiters - the point is they make something very cheap that looks and acts like something very expensive - e.g. a fake Rolex watch which will have very cheap innards and a sheap-ish case made to look like a Rolex.

Of course you might mean "real iPhones smuggled out of the factory" in which case they are not so much fakes as, let's say, "grey import". And there are one or two insurmountable problems that a purchaser would face before they could use said phone...

All iPhones have to be activated through iTunes and as each has a unique serial number it is more than feasible that iTunes would refuse to activate a phone that hadn't been shipped from the factory, gone through the inventory system or flagged as stolen.

Then we have the carrier lock-down although we now have the prospect that the phone will be able to be unlocked from its carrier soon.

And when you've got over all that you STILL need a package that gives you enough data to make all those features usable. From my usage I'd say 100Mb per month is a good starting point

16. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

oh happy days...

"Apple did not immediately respond to a request for their response to the ruling - but we assume they're not pleased."

anything that makes apple not happy in turn makes me happy...

but never forget the true winners in this are the legal teams on both sides of the fence who are about to make a lot of money arguing the point for the next 5 years...

mines the one with the nokia and the netbook in the pockets...

17. TeeCee Gold badge
    Jobs Horns

Revenge?

If Stevie wants his revenge, he can always make sure that all iPhones destined for France ship with the "Crazy Frog"* ringtone forced in firmware.

Forcing the power on password to "Vichy" would drive the point home nicely as well.

*Not only sodding annoying but sends a useful message too.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

French phones unlocked

As far as I was aware, all phones in france are unlocked, the apple thingy is a phone so it has to be unlocked. simple oui.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Neil Morgan - French phones unlocked

They are unlocked, but you can only buy them from Orange. And that's what Mr. Bouygues wants to end.

He wants to sell them too., preferably with a subscription, of course

20. Andy Silver badge

Re: French phones unlocked

Nah. All French phones are (legally) unlockable, once you've had them for a minimum 6-month period. You can freely buy unlocked iPhones in Andorra, but be ready to hand over 700-odd Euros.

-A.

21. Rob

@Kevin Whitefoot

> I get the point about consumer sovereignty but I don't see why it should supersede political sovereignty. (and neither deserve initial caps).

Does it look like politicians are in control of the world.. Or the economy?

Voting with your wallet means you can vote continually at a much finer granularity.

Directly boycotting companies you disapprove of is far more effective than continuing to give them your money whilst hoping the party you may or may not have voted for 4 years ago will agree on some kind of white paper outlining possible regulation of the practices in a few years time.

Surely cutting out this middleman wastes less taxpayers' money too, money that could be better spent on hospitals, schools, nuclear weapons, or bailing out banks.

22. Nick Pettefar

Belgium Mobiles

You can only buy unlocked mobiles here in Belgium.

An Apple iPhone 8GB is € 525 (incl. vat) from www.Mobistar.be (exclusively). You can use it on any network anywhere but only Mobistar offer the special Apple services.

Belgium is a small country and so the citizens have to pay higher prices (you know this makes sense) than in larger countries such as German or Britain. In the case of mobiles you have to buy your own mobile at full price and then get a contract - both of these are expensive. The prices in the UK are only to be envied.

If Vodafone ever do get the iPhone (I am not moving to O2!) and I get one then I won't be able (afford) to use it here in Belgium if it is SIMlocked and I can't put my Belgian SIM in it.

23. Nev
    Unhappy

Can't get away from the iPhone...

Christ if you ring up SFR you currently get "Mr Bluesky" blasted at you and them harping on about the iPhone.

Stop the madness, please!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like