back to article Vodafone knocks English cricket for six

Vodafone is ending its sponsorship of the English cricket team - currently on tour in India. The four year deal with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will end after the winter tour of South Africa in January 2010. Though given the team's lamentable performance of late, it would be entirely understandable if Vodafone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Simon Ward
    Paris Hilton

To be fair ...

England have never had a particularly stellar record when playing on the subcontinent, although their recent performances eclipse practically everything else in terms of sheer ineptitude (possible exception for Andrew Strauss, though)

I would suggest 3 as an alternative sponsor, since this is the average number of overs that need to be bowled before the batting lineup goes into meltdown. Sadly, if memory serves, 3 already have a deal with one of the Test nations (possibly Australia - don't recall offhand)

Paris, 'cos she seems to have experience with balls and bits of wood ..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

How about...

A. Jones Manure Handling as a sponsor.

They could also have a fleet of Delorean's to ferry them around too ;)

3. Steve Taylor
    Unhappy

Better coverage?

Perhaps restricting live cricket to the relatively tiny proportion with Sky isn't the best way to get the most from your advertising budget.

4. Rich

Lamentable performance 'of late'

Surely they've been lamentable since 1877, if not before?

5. Mark Aggleton
    Thumb Down

@Simon Ward

Surely 3 is the number of days a test lasts when England are playing

6. Tim
    Paris Hilton

@ Steve

Very true indeed, I follow them closely on TMS & in the press but don't have Sky, & wouldn't even have been able to name Vodafone as their sponsor.

Oh, not more $20 matches either. Such a shame.

Tim#3

Paris, cos she enjoys the game from the member's end

7. jake Silver badge

@Rich

"Surely they've been lamentable since 1877, if not before?"

I dunno ... This Yank managed to take in all of the Tests in 1977 ... including attending Leeds personally, all five days. It's true that this wasn't "on the sub continent", but it was some pretty remarkable cricket, nonetheless. The Aussies were shell-shocked ...

Boycott for PM!

I love Cricket, but the above is about all the history I know :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019