back to article Microsoft hires Yahoo! search boss

Microsoft has hired a senior ex-Yahooer to run its loss-making internet search and advertising business. Dr Qi Lu joins Microsoft in January as president of its Online Services Group. Lu used to be executive vice president of engineering at Yahoo's search and advertising technology group - he left the firm in August after ten …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

so they hired a failure?

Yahoo is not n1 in search, is it?

LOL

2. An ominous cow herd

Dr. Qi Lu

"Lu" is Lu Qi's first name, in chinese surnames are written in front of the person's first name, so you should be saying "Before joining Yahoo! Qi was a researcher for IBM..."

\pedant

3. john oates

Qi Lu or Lu Qi

That comment is certainly not pedantic. And I'm ashamed to say I've made this mistake before.

But are you sure Lu is the first name?

I took this from the press release which refers to “Dr. Lu’s deep technical expertise" - maybe he's anglicized the order of his name?

cheers - happy to correct if I'm wrong...

john

4. Steven Ballmer

The truth!

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTMLIf you haven't figured it out, that was my way of saying that when we do buy Yahoo we will need a "Microsoft trained" oriental guy to take Yang's place. One hard and fast rule we have around here is that you never do cross-culture-replacement of senior executives! Italians for Irish or French for Portuguese or even Mexican for Bolivian is OK, but never replace a China-man with anything less than a Korean! It simply isn't done.

http://fakesteveballmer.blogspot.com

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020