back to article BBC Trust pulls plug on local video plans

The BBC Trust has rejected the broadcaster's plans to set up local video news sites for different areas of the country. The £68m proposal was to improve local news sites for 60 locations and five extra Welsh language services. The plan required 400 staff and a four year budget of £68m. The sites would offer news, sport and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge

I think the most surprising thing there

is the final sentence

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TFFT

can they also pull the plug on the torrent of witless vapid drivel that oozes forth from BBC Local Radio ?

I hear some about once a week and it upsets me for hours....

3. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Brand...

"The Trust further ruled today that Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand should receive no more punishment for their part in Manuelgate."

Brand has already lost his job. What more the Trust have done? Beheading?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Local rubbish

I'm sort of disappointed by this. Living in Gloucestershire, 'local' means either Bristol or Birmingham as far as the BBC are concerned. But looking at the only commercial site with genuine local news (thisisgloucestershire), I wish the BBC were able to really go local.

It's no surprise to me that ad revenues are falling, given the utter rubbish the commerical local news sites are. You know things are desperate when there are links inviting you to "tell us about a story we've missed" or a 'news story' inviting readers to submit photos. For example earlier this year they were filming scenes for the new Harry Potter film in Gloucester, and thisisgloucestershire were tempting readers with 25 pounds (sorry, US keyboard!) to anyone who could get photos of the stars. The best they could come up with was the back of Alan Rickman's head taken from about 500 metres away..

No doubt the Beeb would have had at least one journalist on board in each project and not relied on user-supplied drivel as much. But one thing they would both have had in common was the dreaded have your say. Some of the comments on thisisgloucestershire just make your mind boggle!

5. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

@local rubbish

Consider yourself lucky - local for anyone in Scotland is Glasgow or Edinburgh - we only have 1 English-language "regional" radio station (apparently there's another Gaelic one that I've never found) and the drivel that is produced by Radio Scotland has to be heard to be believed.

@Brand? - no he threw his toys out the pram because they wouldn't let him use his form of "funny" on the grown-up's show - he didn't get sacked.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Local TV

It will be interesting to see if local newspapers now take up online local TV services, I suspect that they will not do much. I have seen a few locally produced videos on newspaper websites, they have all been very poor quality home-video standard and would never be considered for broadcast use.

7. Sam Tana
    Coat

Hypocrite

@ Anon Coward - Nov 22 00:16

Some of the comments on this site just make my mind boggle too - including yours.

There's a word for people who criticise free speech and disapprove of people being able to influence the news agenda while using those very facilities themselves.

Mine's the one with the Press card in the pocket.

This topic is closed for new posts.