back to article Belts tightened in push email

Data pushing vendor Visto has laid off another ten per cent of its staff, though it won't confirm if that means its development will be moving out of the UK entirely. Visto used to have more than 300 staff around the world, and this latest "modest restructuring," as the company calls it, involves laying off ten per cent of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave

Push Email?

I've never quite seen the market for this, given that I have at home a Cyrus IMAP server that appears to successfully operate push email to a standard SE K800i. Why pay someone for it? RIM only got in because they provided decent smartphones. I'd have one of the phones but I'm not paying them for the email services so I'll continue to choose something that doesn't use Windows Mobile and isn't an iPhone but that can do email the way I want.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

They were "decimated" then.

3. Tom Simnett

RE: Push Email?

Dave, Cyrus doesn't use PUSH. It operates using the standard IDLE extension that means the connection stays open and a notification is sent back when there is new stuff to do. The client then goes and does a full fetch (folders, email, flags, the lot).

By contrast, RIMs system precisely pushes the email to the client. There are, IIRC, advancements in development to IDLE to enable additional information to be sent back regarding what precisely needs to be fetched when there are changes. This would behave much more like RIMs PUSH system, but still isn't the same thing.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

puh-owned

Dave got pwned

5. Visto Employee
    Dead Vulture

Time Gentlemen please?

Must agree, the market for Visto seems to be diminishing now that their law-suits are not generating any cash, I've lost a lot of colleagues & friends already this year and more this time round also, so I guess it might be 3rd time lucky for me :-p

Just a crying shame that it's the workers and ideas people that suffer in pay/job cuts. The top heavy EMEA management structure in Visto could seriously do with thinning out especially with the salaries these guys command to bring almost non-existent business into the company coffers. They cost the company more in expenses than they actually generate in new business and thats a group of management that can't even install the client on a device ..........

Oh sorry wait a minute I was getting confused with management who actually worked and gave a toss about the staff when in fact all they are doing is hanging in there hoping or waiting for a take-over that no doubt will come even if it is to buy the IP rights if nothing else.

These management sorts have decimated the business especially in the EMEA by discarding "original" staff in favor of their "own sorts" and to what end? No new business coming in - Sales and support staff being shed by the trusk-load just so that the business looks more "profitable" to a potential suitor?

Watch this space - the inside money has to be on a Microsoft or even a Vodafone buy-out.

As an aside, I guess Dave will be looking for the G1 then: -p

I've had it 3 weeks now on pre-test & its a nice piece of kit & does email the way I want. anyway, and not a piece of Visto, Rim, or Microsoft software in sight.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VC stop sending these morons money

VC stop sending these morons money. They are laughing at you!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Latest run of cuts

I agree with all the past comment. As a previous employee of the badly run business known as Visto, they spend way to much on Expenses and very litle is gain. As one of the few to jump ship before any of the culls, i'm happy i left a sinking ship before it started to really go under.

The management command massive salaries, EMEA Support VP earned in excess of 150k but yet could not install the simple to use software on his device, his work around being carrying multiple phones if one went dead.

All these golfing trips wih other European managers (bear in mind these are not customers, internal managers) soon begins to eat at the coffers. I have been on the blunt end a fair few times and the mentality of the "new" management is a joke. Bring back the days of old with Bill Foreman, Doug Pratt, and oust out the existing management that pushed hard working people that loved visto for what it does, not what money it generates!!

All venture capitalist need to be aware of the state that Visto is in over two years ago they were blowing their horns saying we need no more VC money, then 3 months in they sign up a 50m deal, then we are told the same thing we will be in the green and profitably in 3 months, and yet more capital is raised. Does the value of the shares held by Visto employess actuallymean anything, as the old saying goes... are they worth the paper they are printed on... in this diluted commercial company they are not.

Hiring and firing at Visto is a family business. THey only hire there own, and dont like the true worker.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Further visto job cuts

A further 21 people were laid off by Visto, 16 of these from the UK office who were all development engineers

Development work will now be done primarily from the China office with no dev work being carried out at the Uk office

This topic is closed for new posts.