back to article Brit chemist conjures smell of outer space

NASA has commissioned a British chemist to recreate the fragrance of outer space - variously described by astronauts as resembling "fried steak, hot metal and even welding a motorbike", the Daily Mail reports. Steven Pearce of Omega Ingredients has taken to the lab in order to "help astronauts prepare for the conditions they …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Outer Space smells lovely!

"fried steak, hot metal and even welding a motorbike"

Outer space smells like my kitchen?!

2. Random Noise
    Coat

Fart in a spacesuit?

Lets hope he doesn't have to create the smell of a fart in a spacesuit.

We all know how bad that can be the morning after eating your freeze dried vindaloo.

3. Alan Fisher
    Alien

Eh??

How can they "smell" outer space through their rebreathers and helmets and so forth?? Are they actually saying that this is the smell the air scrubbers give the atmosphere they are in?? I doubt anyone has ever smelled actual outer space....it's not actually possible is it??

I'm sure a wet cat has more of a smell

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

Okay, I'll bite.

Just how *do* you smell outer space? Opening the door and taking a quick sniff would seem to be out of the question.

From the article, I reckon the smell they're after is: "stale spacestation airlock with a hint of used spacesuit". But that doesn't sound as impressive.

Presumably a good deal of this depends on the air recently vented from said spacesuit which would, in turn, depend on what the Astronaut ate last and how long the spacewalk was. I suggest that NASA review their meal inventories and find which wag has added "Pureed motorcycle components avec welding torch brulee" to the menu.

5. david bates
    Joke

Its a stab in the dark....

...but how about getting a piece of metal really hot and frying some steak on it? I claim my £5 reward.

Anyways, I suspect that space actually smells of your sinuses exploding when you open your visor to have a good sniff and all that nice hard vacuum gives you a smack in the face...

6. Alec Harkness

Roast spaceman

Sounds like space smells a lot like a spaceman wrapped in tinfoil being basted by the sun

7. Anton Channing
    Stop

In space no-one can smell your armpits...

So its not really the smell of outer space, but rather the smell of space suits that have freshly been brought in from a space walk (where they were no doubt bombarded by radiation). Since our sense of smell relies on the molecules of various gasses entering our nose, space itself cannot not have a smell detectable by a human. Darwin Award to anyone that tries...

Title chosen because I just watched 'Alien' last night after having picked it up for 50p in VHS format...

8. Robert Harrison

Link

"fried steak, hot metal and even welding a motorbike"

There seems to be a link here, fried, hot, welding (specifically a motorbike though wtf?!) all suggest the astronaut is smelling their somewhat irradiated suit after coming in from out of the cold.

Maybe this geezer could try ironing spacesuits with an x-ray machine to reproduce the scent.

9. Thorsten
    Boffin

Motorbike welding

I'm just curious: how does welding a motorbike smell differently from welding a bicycle? Or a car?

Personally, I think the "hot metal" and "fried steak" smell components come from the interaction of high-energy particles with the space suits' metal parts and organic filling, respectively.

10. Richard

Oh now I get it...

They mean the smell of their equipment once they get back inside, which is probably from the dust and trace gasses.

I'd heard about this before and wondered exactly what they meant by "smell of space". I didn't think anyone who would have had good gasp of space would be in a suitable condition to describe it (although the notion that you would explode or your juices would boil is a misconception, you'd just asphyxiate). Although they could have meant the smell of a leaking suit, which has happened to at least one guy on the moon.

Space is weird.

11. lIsRT

Interplanetary Gas?

I suppose the obvious thing to do would be open a sealable container while on a spacewalk, then analyse the contents - although seeing as it's probably a few hundred H2 molecules per cc it might be contaminated by the near vacuum (but still many times denser than actual space) that escaped out the airlock a few minutes ago.

If they're talking about the smell you get from spacecraft life-support systems, why don't they say?

12. Peyton

Your brain

Will stop "detecting" an odor that it's been exposed to for a while (this is why people often put on way to much cologne) - so I doubt they're "resmelling" the air from their suits (never mind that that would be some freakish BO)

If the airlock smells of roses when you leave and steak cooked on a Harley with a blow torch when you get back... chances are good you picked up something while you were out. Pretty interesting stuff imho.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

It has been a long week

SPACE ! ..... THE FINAL BURNT STEER ! Boom tish!

"I love the smell of space in the morning, it smells like, I dunno, breakfast" Boom tish!

"Space - it tastes like burning!" Ralph Wigumm Boom tish!

When the aliens finally invade, I will gladly welcome our new motorcycle riding bovine overlords.

Alien, no brainer.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Sure it has a smell

It's full of dust particles and stuff. They come in with you when you open the airlock.

15. Bassey

Sooo....

So, the only source they have for the smell of space is the smell astronauts get from their suits when they return from a space walk. Correct me if I'm wrong (like you lot need an invite) but Space walks nowadays are more often than not are done to repair the ISS. The astronauts pop outside to, ooh, I don't know, weld things together and the like.

And the predominant smell they get when they come back in is hot metal and welding.....

So, NASA. Not really all that smart after all then.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Futurama

..did it first with the "Smell-o-scope".

PS - welding motorbikes? Who welds motorbikes anymore? Most modern machinery is so light and so fast, that any "off" is usually a write-off. For rider and steed.

17. Lloyd
    Coat

Hold on there

Being blasted off the face of the planet strapped to the back of a huge amount of very explosive liquid at what? Mach 7? I'd be very suprised if it didn't smell like someone had soiled themselves.

18. Alistair

Captain Cyborg

Any chance El Reg could persuade the publicity-seeking professor from Reading to demonstrate exactly how to go about sniffing hard vacuum? I'd love to see it.

I suspect the reported aroma are typical olfactory responses to ions.

19. ian

Star Wars science

Listening to the low rumble of a passing space shuttle while enjoying the fresh scent of perihelion, were they?

Must have been better than the scents inside the station (sweat, stale food, hot ventilation motors).

20. Paul
    Coat

Ur outer space.

It has an odor.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Coat! Bye!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

space is not empty...

Space in low earth orbit isn't empty. It's full of ionized reactive molecules heated to like 5,000 degrees. Sure it's too thin to breathe, but it's very hard on the exterior surfaces of sattelites, space stations, etc. I expect what you smell when you come back inside is the heated, damaged external surfaces of your gear.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

vacuum

Anybody working with metallic vacuum chambers and who is worth more than his weight in steaks knows a very similar smell. Vacuum-baked metal has a tendency of becoming highly chemically reactive. This leads to alterations of the organic molecules which we exhale and which strike such a metallic surface freshly exposed to air. Once we breathe in again, these modified molecules nicely tickle our noses, producing that hard-to-describe "smell of vacuum".

My coat is the one with the pair of 13 mm wrenches in the pocket, ta very much.

23. Brian Varnell
    Thumb Down

What's the bill?

I notice that the amount spend was somehow not mentioned. I'm sure the price was astronomical (heh, see what I did there?).

24. Luther Blissett

Solaris

C'mon guys. These are American astronauts - the right stuff. Their earliest memories are of the macho American lifestyle these guys were born into - barbecued steaks their Moms cooked, and the stripped down hot-rods their Dads did. Space is just putting them in touch with their primal prime emotions - those buried deep in the limbic system.

If they research some more, they'll discover space also smells like napalm in the morning, and like Mary Jane.

25. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

Welded motorbike

I imagine it smells the same as welded bicycle unless you forget to empty the fuel tank, in which case it's more burnt flesh and antiseptic.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

How ...

Can a near-perfect vacuum smell of anything? Talk fucking sense.

Its probably the effect of high-energy particles bombarding the brain and stimulating the olfactory centres of the astronauts, rather akin to epileptics reporting an odour before having a fit.

27. Anonymous John

@ Motorbike welding

" I'm just curious: how does welding a motorbike smell differently from welding a bicycle? Or a car?"

You can't weld a car in the kitchen.

28. Tim
    Happy

At least

It doesn't smell of Uranus.

29. Metal Marv
    Happy

Good news everyone!

What no Futurama references to the Smell-o-scope???

30. Charles Tsang
    Alien

The Practicalities of Smelling Space/SpaceStation

Heh, would you believe there is a practical side to this?

A poster on Slashdot mentioned that quite often, to be able to tell if the hydraulic fluid leak was burning or not, would actually change his chosen fix when sitting in a light airplane cockpit.

So he was positing that teaching/acclimatising to the norm would be good.

Unfortunately there are too many variables to be able to simulate all the "bad" smells, or rather smells arising from bad scenarios.

Oh and to the person saying what smell is vaccuum, some "smells/tastes" propogate across vaccuums. Just research what the blue glow is and the ensuing "smell/taste" (wikipedia has the answer to this...).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like