back to article Land Warrior soldier-puter to get hoverbot vid hookup

The US Army's techno-revolution push is making some progress, according to reports. Small military hover-droids in Iraq will be increased by 60 per cent, and there are unspecified plans to integrate footsoldiers' wearable computers into the wider military net. In you go, R2, we're right behind you The Ares blog at Av Week …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Fisher

Handy how they get to test all these ideas eh?

Is it me or do Afghanistan and Iraq increasing seem like rather violent market research excercises?? I've always been of the opinion that America starts wars (or invades places) when they have new military kit they want to test properly, now I seem to be proven right....they'll try to let the war drag on while they test out all these new 'toys'....

2. Secretgeek

@ Alan Fisher

Damn. I read the article and was going to post pretty much the same thing.

3. Ralph B
    Black Helicopters

We Should Be Told

Do these hoverbots incorporate a sound system capable of broadcasting the "The Flight of the Valkyries" to everyone in a 3 mile radius?

4. Paul Murphy
    Paris Hilton

Testing ideas

You're way off the mark there Alan - it's all about ensuring that the Iraqis (not the Iraquios, they have already been freedom-ised*) are free to follow the 'American Way' (tm), which mainly involves selling anything they have lying around to the Americans, say oil or maybe err sand?

As for the Afghanistanians I suspect that some market research found out that Americans import a large amount of Heroin, so they thought that they would freedomise* that resource as well.

Of course I could be wrong, after all the same could be said of our involvement in Northern Ireland, since that was great for teaching urban warfare as well as 'hearts and minds' practice.

ttfn

*For the Americans please feel free to replace the 's' with a 'z'

PH 'cos I'd like to have zex with her.

5. James Pickett
    Happy

Deterrent

May I suggest they use them to fly past the Taliban with large posters of naked women? That should disorientate them...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eyewear

The soldier in the second photo is wearing Oakley Blades with the clear lens. I've been saying for literally years that these are the best bang-for-the-buck combat eyewear you can get - whether with clear lens or tinted lens - excellent clarity, comfortable (can wear all day) and stay on your head even when running and jumping. Pretty good impact resistance too, and you can usually sit on them without breaking them (as I have done a few times). Of course, occassionally, goggles are required, and the goggles are a bit tougher, but 9 times out of 10, a good pair of Oakley's Blades is the way to go. Once you've shot a few people with these on, you won't want anything else.

Oh, the hover-bot is cool, too .....

7. Rob
    Coat

What we haven't been told...

.... is that all the Iraqis have signed NDA's when they agreed to the be shot by equipment in it's beta test phase.

(Sorry we blew up your family we'll get that fixed with the next patch).

8. john loader

Wizards of Pooks corner

a sci fi story from the 60s where the army is beaten by a group of guys with shotguns because their arms were so new and complicated they couldn't work out how to use them properly. This may be truth becoming like fiction.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Now with 10% added Freedom

I love the way Americans are all supposed to have Freedom, and should fight to bring freedom to the rest of the world.

I have yet to discover what Americans are free to do that the rest of the world isn't, apart perhaps from f**king it up.

American Freedom = ?

Glastroika (A word I made up that sounds good in speeches) = ?

American Freedom = Glastroika

Let's go fight to bring Glastroika to the rest of the world.

11. b
    Thumb Up

see also:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/09/land_warrior_fcs_mav_hookup/

;)

stuff and nonsense: http://www.eupeople.net/forum

12. Kibble
    Thumb Up

@ Alan

As the war in Iraq and Afghanistan drag on new technology has the time to be tested in a realistic field. This was also seen in the Viet Nam conflict. In between wars new technologies are developed and tested in secret and finally make it to the battlefield all at once. It takes time to implement suggestions for more effective methodologies, tactics, and equipment from lessons learned in battle. If the war goes on, the enemy will also adapt their tactics and make use of technology which creates a vicious circle or a marketing hey-day depending on your outlook.

13. Dave The Cardboard Box
    Paris Hilton

Arms manufacturers must be...

...laughing all the way to the bank. Millions and billions spent on this crap which does nothing to reduce casualties. Human intelligence gathering would be 10000% more cost effective but then you'd have to mix with the natives instead of sitting in highly protected and privileged compounds.

Paris cos even she could work that out.

14. Alan Fisher
    Black Helicopters

I stick to my *ahahha* guns

@secretgeek; sorry about that old chum, it was waiting to be said

@anyone else; yes oil and power are part of it and a big part too but best way to test all this new gear is in the field and they test and test; the US Military has a long history of this...I think they started it in modern times with a brand new technological development tested on certain Japanese cities?

Of course most of the major arms dealers are American owned so, getting some PR and free advertising helps things along

15. DutchOven
    Coat

American Freedoms

I know exactly what these "American Freedoms" Anonymous Coward mentioned consist of:

Most obvious is the freedom to force all other countries to bend the knee to the US brand of run-away capitalism.

They also have the freedom to bring "democracy" to other countries. I'm putting "democracy" in inverted commas because if you don't vote for the US-backed puppet at the first elections then you and your entire family will be killed when a bomb "accidentally" falls on your village.

...and isn't it ironic that they go on and on about democracy when they don't actually live in a democracy, they live in a republic! Oh dear, I may have insulted the 'merkins, I better get my coat and leave quickly before their flying spies, cluster bombs and/or friendly fire turn me into a smoking crater.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@ Paul Murphy

If you actually meant the Iraquois Indians, you are way off the block. Mostly French, Brit, and, to some extent, Dutch settlers started the ball rolling with a pacification and absorption campaign.

As for your point about heroin trade, many millions of dollars are being spent to erradicate poppy cultivation. Unfortunately heroin production is very profitable. And most of the finished product from Afghanistan seems to end up in Europe or Asia. Lately, however, heroin use in the US has increased, but is probably supplied mostly from South/Central America.

17. Chris G

I'ts easy to make fun

Of the Americans and satirise them and they only have themselves to blame.

Current version of old T shirt:- Join the US Army

Travel to foreign lands

and experiment with strange new weapons

on strange people you have never met before

from unusual and interesting cultures

and kill them

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So let me get this right ...

... I post an Australia-is-good-Britain-isn't bait comment and all I get is one lousy, half-baked response? What the hell happened to British fighting spirit?

Actually, I think I already know the answer to that one - Gordon Brown.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like