back to article Nokia 6220 Classic candybar phone

It may look like an ordinary phone, but under the skin the 6220 Classic is anything but that. Nokia has crammed in much of the high-end features usually reserved for its Nseries smartphones. A 5-megapixel camera, featuring Carl Zeiss optics and a Xenon flash, sits on the back panel, while inside there’s A-GPS navigation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James

Maps....

... it would be very useful to know how the GPS part of the phone performed with OS 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 maps of the type available from Anquet, memory Map etc. not just the proprietory maps from the phone company.

This would be useful to know for ALL GPS capable devices !

2. James Dunmore
    Stop

Have they fixed the snooze time....

I've got a 6120 and the snooze time on the alarm is fixed to 5mins - on older nokia's (and on current nokia's that don't use s60) you can set the snooze time for x number of mins - usually 10 - which is far more useful that a 5 mins snooze (I use my phone as an alarm clock - sorry if I'm fussy and want 10mins for a snooze, rather than 5).

Really simple, but annoying feature they've missed off if it isn't there on feature pack 2.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

E51

Hmmm, just bought an E51 which I love, should I have waited for this? Better camera and GPS traded against wi-fi. Tricky.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

RE: Snooze time

Chances are, it'll be a 9 minute snooze. It's a historical (note, not "an historical"!!!) thing, if only because it's computationally cheaper to implement (all it has to do is compare the last digit of the minute)

Failing that, press it twice? :-P Either way, you are a lucky man if this is your critical success factor for a phone!

5. Captain DaFt
    Joke

RE: Snooze time

Personally, I never understood the purpose of a snooze button.

Seriously, if you NEED to get up at, say, 7 am, it's going to make you late to use it, and if you DON'T need to get up a 7 am, why the hell are you setting the alarm so early? Personally, I'll take the extra minutes of uninterrupted sleep by setting the alarm later.

That said, it's been proven by survey that the amount of sleep needed by the average adult for a full nights sleep is "Ten more minutes, honest!"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have the 6120

It's probably the best phone ever. Small, light and has all the capabilities of a smartphone.

I'm considering buying the 6220 off contract for the GPS feature - this for me is the perfect phone.

7. Jeff

"a common 2.5mm-to-3.5mm adapter"?

"A 2.5mm AV jack socket means that with the help of a common 2.5mm-to-3.5mm adapter..."

Surely you meant "an IRRITATING 2.5mm-to-3.5mm adaptor)". What's the point of a sleek phone that mandates a clunky adaptor if you want to use a decent set of headphones?

8. David Beck

Will it synch with Google Calendar?

I'm more interested in where I'm supposed be than where I am. It would be nice to know if the PIM functions work with anything other than a proprietary Nokia windows only suite.

9. James Pickett

Classic

"The outer casing is a disappointment"

Really? I think it looks suitably understated. I bought the much more lowly (but similarly styled) 3110 Classic for its look and feel, which are well above its price point. It feels like it was carved from solid and will still look good when all the little flip and slider phones have fallen to bits.

10. Russell Howe
    Paris Hilton

Re: Will it synch with Google Calendar

Of course it won't, as Google don't do SyncML, but goosync will give you a free account to enable you to do two-way sync with GC.

Works a treat for me, and so well I'm considering subscribing to their paid service so I can sync multiple calendars.

Paris 'cos she's an expert at syncing

11. Stuart Moore
    Thumb Up

Re: Snooze time

Just got one of these, I like it.

Snooze time defaults to 15min, and can be anything between 1 min and 60 min. Hopefully that'll keep you happy.

Got it from mobiles.co.uk on O2, seems to be Nokia firmware and unlocked, from what I can tell.

(As a previous SE fan,it frustrates me that SE can't have a phone as good as this. Several come close but are missing the odd feature)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

shame about the wifi

why not include wifi?

I like my N73, just want wifi support. Do I want to know where I am going - not fussed!

13. Christienne

Nokia 6220 - THE business mobile

it's available with free delivery on the nokia UK website! http://shop.nokia.co.uk

14. David S
    Happy

Just got one as well...

...and the only thing that annoys me is that the screen seems prone to scratching. I've had it a week and there are already a couple of irritating hairline screapes which it's picked up from sharing my pocket with some fluff.

Other than that, I'm with Stuart (above) - my last few phones have been SE and I've been more than delighted with them, but this little beauty is nice.

15. James Dunmore

@Captain DaFt + others - Snooze Time

Okay, I know you were joking - but seriously, the point of snooze time is to snooze a bit more.

Some people wake up differently - some can jump straight out of bed, others, like myself, need 20mins of gently being re-introduced to the world ! Plus its not just the the wake up alarm - you can set reminders for things, and sometimes you'll be in the middle of something else, then for the buzzer to come back 5mins later is annoying, so you cancel the whole reminder and then forget about it - whereas setting somewhere up to 20, 30 mins later would be helpful.

And yes - after text, calling and phone book, alarm is the most important feature to me on a phone; anything else is an added bonus!

@Stuart - thanks for the info - does make me happy !

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like