back to article Nokia and Qualcomm end patent war

Nokia and Qualcomm have agreed to end their worldwide legal battle over patents. Yesterday saw a German court throw out Qualcomm's claims but the two had pending legal action in the US, the UK, Germany, France, Italy and China. The deal therefore came as a surprise. Varied standards are covered by the deal, including GSM, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge
    Pirate

Yesterday saw a German court throw out Qualcomm's claims

Yet the settlements look to be in Qualcomm's favour.

Nokia pays them

Nokia gives them Patents (for Qualcomm to harass others with?)

Nokia agrees to leave them alone

Looks like a "win" not a throw out. What am I missing?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Did Nokia concede?

Looks like Qualcomm came off better, to me. Why would Nokia give away patents?

3. Andy Watt

Prevailing economic conditions?

I dunno, seems a bit suspect to me. My suspicion is that Nokia's lawyers and accountants have looked at what's going to happen in the near future (their buy-out of symbian is not just strategic - they now have no per-handset royalties to pay to symbian) and both parties have agreed to give a little, but Nokia has had to give more.

They've decided that it's better to feel a little pain now than have it magnified when Qualcomm won later and hit them for far larger payments. Besides, some of the more improtant (and lucrative) patents (W-CDMA in particular I'd guess) could well be more attributable to Qualcomm.

Just another American Commercial Imperialism vs European approach battle? Stalemate? Let's face it, the Americans probably wouldn't call off the hounds unless it felt like they won, that's what they're like. Any word from Qualcomm about how they feel?

4. Andus McCoatover
    Unhappy

'strewth

I thought Nokia were winning this. (as an ex-nokia employee)

Sod my guts, the've lost the plot. Ta-taa.

5. dabotsonline

So does this mean

that there will no longer need to be two different versions of a Nokia handset to cover all US 3G frequencies?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like