back to article Adobe update foils Reader and Acrobat exploits

Adobe pushed out an update to its Reader and Acrobat packages on Monday to close a pair of critical flaws in the popular packages. Patches to version 8.1.2 of each application resolves vulnerabilities which create a means for miscreants to drop malware onto vulnerable systems. Users of earlier versions of the software (Adobe …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. thomas k.

Reader 5.1?

I'm still using 5.1 on my w2k box - is it safe?

2. Rabbi
    Gates Halo

It's not a complete install package . . .

For the first time in quite a while, this update is NOT a complete re-installation of Adobe Reader. It's just a 2.2MB msi installer (for Windows at least) package.

This is a good deal better for sysadmins - I can deploy to 100 computers spread over 6 sites without anyone moaning about the download/install time!

3. Mike

Adobe???

I use Foxit instead - a nice relief from all those annoying Adobe pop-ups.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"All platforms" == Windows and Mac?

Does anyone here know whether the problem only affects Windows and Mac OS versions Acrobat and Reader, or has Adobe simply not bothered to release security updates for Linux and all other platforms the software in question runs on?

5. Simon Fowler

Another vote for Foxit!

I also use Foxit - much cleaner and faster (2.2MB vs. 22MB).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ thomas k

I still use 5.1 distiller (it still works on Vista) and GhostScript to actually view PDF's.

Smiley face 'cos I'm a smug bastard.

7. Gordon Fecyk

Safe (non-admin) computing prevents PDF exploits too

I've not seen one of these things before this week, when I had the fortune to see it in action on an older machine. Some unrelated forum site running PHP tried to push some malware on a machine I used. A handful of executable files in %temp%, but no further damage beyond that.

The machine wasn't mine, but I told its owner what happened and I later got to apply a tool I hacked together that prevents downloaded executables from running. Said tool removes execute permissions from new files in limited user-writeable areas.

Lockdown hack or not, it was amusing to see this thing try to do damage and fail miserably. Sure, an updated Adobe Reader fixed it permanently, but were this a zero-day exploit it'd have fallen flat right on day zero.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

+1 for foxit

and not just for security reasons, it's simply smaller, faster, cleaner, better...

http://veroblog.wordpress.com/2007/08/13/why-im-using-foxit-reader-for-acrobat-pdf-files/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like