back to article Making the mobile web ubiquitous

Now anyone can have a mobile web site, thanks to Ubik: an idiot-proof toolkit released by Volantis that talks users through creating their own mobile web presence. Though it won't tell you why you would want to do so. Guildford-based Volantis' primary business is making servers to deliver content to mobile devices, but it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dominic Kua
    Alien

Ubik?

Given the overall mindbending mortuary based theme of the book with mind eating parasites, I can see this being extremely popular among the Web 2.0 crowd.

Alien, because it happened in space!

2. pctechxp

give up on WAP

Cos it crap.

I mean really, who the hell bothers with mobile websurfing on the small screen unless your an executive from a phone firm whose desparate.

Yes it might have been useful to check your bill or call records but most of this stuff can be built into a SIM application and fetched using USSD cant it?

The only thing I've used O2's Active portal for is buying a couple of games for my mobe (long may that term live in El Reg's slang lexicon)

3. cmantito

@pctechxp

Nah, I have to disagree, I like using mobile web. It's something to do when there's nothing else around and things like Google's mobile site are great. Plus? It's a cheaper way of getting on the 'net for some people than a computer.

4. Neil Alexander
    Coat

Re: give up on WAP

WAP's dead anyway. XHTML is the future, where we can actually display rich content instead of bulleted lists.

I also enjoy using mobile services. Windows Mobile's Live application makes finding places easy, the Messenger program and push email are extremely useful (and also entertaining when there's nothing else to do), and with websites like Facebook becoming easier to use on small devices, that's also becoming a popular passe-temps for a lot of people.

Let's remember that there are people out there who would still like access to these services without having to be glued to a desktop or laptop to do it. After all, not all of us are.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Ubik?

As I recall the book, the technology regresses as the story progresses...sounds about right.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like