back to article What's the best compact camera?

I'm interested in purchasing a slimish digital camera. As has been said, "there are many to chose from". So which is the best? I was getting quite excited about the Pentax Optio Z10 until I read the review, which goes for quite a few that I have read about, namely the Ricoh Caplio 7 and the Casio exv7sr, which all do a similar …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Wards

Fuji F100fd

Fujifilm Finepix F100fd might be what your after.

A bit less money and you could get a Casio Exilim EX-Z1080 they are highly rated.

Or a Canon IXUS 860 IS.

As for the best...your going to struggle to get the same answer twice on that until the camera makes see some sense and stop chasing mega pixels and start putting bigger sensors in their cameras.

2. Andrew Taylor

Best Digital Camera

There is no easy way to answer "best" as this is very subjective but I will say what is best for me.

I am a journalist/photographer and have been for decades.

First of all, it had to be something I can put on my belt and have with me ALL THE TIME". A large DSLR bag of equipment can't be "lugged" around everywhere.

I want wide angle so a 35mm equivalent of 28mmm is a must, but I also want a good long range focus. There aren't many cameras that support this.

Then, Image Stabilisation is a must as trying to photograph at, say 280mmm with a tiny camera causes too much "bounce".

I want a camera where I can turn off all electronic sounds. Also one where I can quickly turn flash on and off. And one that allows a high ISO as, often for me, the picture is more important than the quality (Press).

I chose, in the end, one with a Leica lens but which was under £200 (street price). This was the Panasonic Lumix, TZ3 (although I think it has been superseded now by the TZ5.

As a professional, I have no allegiance to any specific make and if anything else turned out that did the job better, I would buy it and sell my old one on eBay.

Ampers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

The one weighing 10 kilos...

The Canon G9 is widely considered as perhaps the best all-round pocket camera to date.

- RAW mode without lags

- Black, discrete metal body

- Easy controls including SLR style wheel for quick changes, and ISO dial

You can use it on full auto, and there's easy-to-use full control when you need it. Compared to my 10D and 24-70L lens (lens costs £900 on its own) this is a much lighter camera, but it takes good photos and crucially, doesn't get in the way of taking pictures.

As Andrew says above, 'best' is subjective, and you should go to a shop and see what camera size and model suits you. Image quality is not really an issue these days though, its more about useability and features. E.g. A fast-writing RAW mode is the most important factor for me, but not for most.

4. Ascylto

Canon Ixus

For lens quality at that price I'd go for Canon Ixus. The feature set is more than acceptable and IS is now standard.

5. Scott Mckenzie

Subjective

As all seem to agree above, it's very subjective..... i've recommended the Lumix TZ5, Fuji F40fd and Ricoh Caplio C7 to people recently... all for different reasons.

In low light the Fuji rocks (i have the smaller F31fd as a pocket aid to my DSLR) however in bright light others offer sharper images.

The Ricoh is a stunning all rounder but last time i checked was a little pricey.... for value for money and capable at everything (and with a great wide angle) the Lumix is probably the best bet IMHO but the Fuji is a cracker (sadly on the newer models Fuji got rid of their stunning sensor :()

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Canon A720IS

I have the A710IS which is the same camera with a slightly lower megapixel rating

Its flexible and has a nice range of manual and automatic modes. Plus it takes AA batteries which is both a plus and a minus

+ easy to get more batteries if the current ones die

- flash can take a while to recharge

Otherwise I would second the TZ3 / TZ5, I recommended the TZ3 to my parents, its easy to use and fiddling with it...takes nice photos, plus has 10x optical and 40x digital with little noise (something the A710IS can stumble over)

I got my canon on the high street from Jessops and the panasonic from 7dayshop

This topic is closed for new posts.