back to article Canon Digital Ixus 970 IS compact camera

How do you improve on an existing product? Well, you can change the colour, you can add new features... or you can do what Canon has done with the Ixus 970 and give it a radical new redesign. The Ixus 970 isn’t ugly, but it’s not as good looking as previous Canon cameras we’ve seen. The left-hand side of the body has a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt
    Stop

Me Grimlock

"At ISO 1600 you can clearly see the noise on this toy dinosaur"

Toy dinosaur? You heathen! That's the one and only Grimlock!

2. Steve

Noise

Maybe if that shot of the dinosaur was in focus it would help.

3. Chris McFaul
    Go

compeitors

tsince it says it is left in the shade by its competitors, it might be useful to name and a few alternativesand say in what way they beat this canon?

4. Giles Jones Gold badge

ISO1600

I can see noise on my full frame DSLR at ISO1600, your point is?

Ok the noise is much less and less noticeable, but you can't expect to amplify a weak signal (ie. weak light at a tiny analog sensor) without boosting the noise levels.

It's a compact camera, they have more noise than DSLR cameras which have much bigger sensors.

5. J
    Thumb Down

Only?

"shutter speed range from 1/60-1/600 second"

That's really restricted... 1/60, is that the slowest? For shame, Canon...

6. Adrian Tritschler
    Linux

Slippery little beast

Only problem with the new design, and indeed the last new design, of the IXUS pocket cameras is that they've been getting smaller and smoother and harder to keep a grip on. My IXUS300 was ok, the IXUS700 is kinda slippery and easy to drop.

The new one looks almost like a bar of soap.

7. David Gosnell

Re: Only?

According to Canon's specs:

1/60 - 1/1600 sec (factory default)

15 - 1/1600 sec (total range - varies by shooting mode)

Though that's about as clear as mud.

I'm guessing that auto modes only go as slow as 1/60 sec, which is uncoincidentally probably the flash sync speed, but you can manually go slower if the need arises.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like