back to article Intel VP threatens to turn all Xeon users into 'monkey kings'

Faced with a lack of actual news to discuss, Intel today turned to the "Monkey King" in order to liven up its IDF session on server chips. Intel senior VP Pat Gelsinger took the stage here in Shanghai to hit on the company's efforts around high performance and data center computing. Gelsinger, however, had little material to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dominic Kua
    Thumb Up

You don't know Journey to the West?

Then you will certainly heard of some of the derivatives:

Monkey Magic

Dragon Ball Z

Hanuman

Innumerable Chinese and Hong Kong films/series on the subject.

In fact Jet Li's even filming his own version with Jackie Chan at the moment.

If Intel can make me Sun Wu Kong, I'm going to buy some processors.

2. Allan Rutland
    Joke

Am waiting for part two...

where he shows up on stage in the monkey costume!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

A child of the 70's writes...

Ah Master! Let me just bash him once!

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Coat

RE: Allan Rutland and a correction....

RE Allan.

Hey, McNealy has done a penguin suit before, I think a monkey suit would kinda suit Schwartz! ;)

"....In the past, Intel would roll out the Transitive code to make fun of Sun's prized OS...." Actually, Intel is helpfully showing Sun customers that there is a future for Solaris in the datacenter.

5. Kevin Hutchinson
    Unhappy

Sad to see...

It's sad to see Tikwila beating Sun's Rock to market. Real sad. But I guess they should excel at different kinds of workloads and then there's Fujitsu's Sparc64 4-core upgrade coming later this year, so things aren't all bad for Sun.

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/services/computing/server/sparcenterprise/technology/performance/processor.html

6. John Savard

Power in the West

I just wish I could get the Dalai Lama a Tyan T-650QX, if that could get him into the Alexandra David-Neel class, given the current unpleasantness.

Or a Cluster Platform 3000.

7. Curtis W. Rendon

@Dominic Kua

Although I have heard of Jackie Chan, I don't know of any of that other stuff.

What is it, anime?

8. Dominic Kua
    Thumb Up

@ Curtis W. Rendon

Well DragonBall is anime, Journey to the west is one of the five classic Chinese novels and my personal favourite.

It tells the story of a monkey who learns magic powerful enough to challenge heaven , is defeated by buddha and made to go on a quest with a monk.

Monkey Magic was a Japanese TV series which was dubbed into English about 30 years ago and the main reason most westerners who know about Journey to the West heard about it.

The book was written by Wu Cheng'en and isreasonably easy to find in bookstores.

9. John Savard

I Think It's Forgivable

I'm sure there must be some people in China who haven't heard of Orlando Furioso, Pilgrim's Progress, the Odyssey of Homer, or even the Arabian Nights or Gulliver's Travels.

10. Demian Phillips
    IT Angle

Curtis and Dominic

Hanuman was a character in the Ramayana. He was son of the god Vayu (god of the wind) and a monkey and was thus a demigod.

The Ramayana chronicles one of the several Incarnations of the god Vishnu on earth in the form of a Prince.

The villain (Ravana) and his brother (Kumbhakarna) were the incarnations of some St. Peter like gate guards of Vishnu's abode.The pissed of a couple of child sages (well they look like children) and were cursed. They begged forgiveness and were offered the choice to live as gods for four lifetimes or be reborn as demons and be killed by Vishnu seven times. The chose the latter option with the idea that living as gods they would enjoy themselves but would not have as close a relationship with Vishnu, but if they were his enemy they would get killed by him directly and would be much closer to him.

The details above vary from version to version, but I never saw a connection between the Monkey King and Hanuman, but that could because of my exposure to Hanuman for decades before I caught wind of the Monkey King. I also do not find much literary comparison, but my research is not extensive.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like