back to article T-Mobile and Orange hook up video trial

Orange and T-Mobile are to try broadcast TV in London, using MBMS technology over the existing 3G infrastructure to provide 24 channels of video and ten of audio, all at "high resolution". The companies will try this out for six months to see if the service can be made economic. Multimedia Broadcast Multicast Service (MBMS) is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Sutton
    Stop

Mobile TV?

I was on the original (well first I heard of) mobile TV trial which Orange ran nearly 3 years ago, which I assume ran over 3g somehow. After the 3 month trial period, they then wanted 10 quid a month for the service! (and that was only 9 channels IIRC)

Laugh? No, I just canceled the service.....and then rang up to cancel again, after they charged me anyway!

I can't speak for others, but I'd be prepared to pay 50p a month for access to mobile TV, and only then if it included worthwhile channels. Any more than that, and they can keep it!

2. Chad H.
    Thumb Down

Fair Value.

I think fair value is about nothing... instead wait for portable digital TVs. Freeview on the move.

Why rebroadcast what is already being broadcast in different frequencies? Sounds like the definition of waste.

3. Peter Kendall

What's new?

T Mobile are already doing mobile TV. £3.50 a month gets you BBC 1, News 24, BBC 3, ITN news and some comedy. cartoon and music channels. Foe more money you can get Sky too. It only works over 3g but the quality is good with very little freezing. What does the new service offer that is different?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like