back to article DC Comics to kill off Batman?

DC Comics will kill off Batman as one of a "series of cosmological cataclysms" designed to prop up circulation in the face of the increasing newsstand and cinematic domination of rival Marvel. That's according to the Times, which says the axe is due to fall in April's issue 676, representing the latest in a string of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. anarchic-teapot
    Coat

"Sure to shock you!!!"

In a World Gonne Madd, with 1000 elephants!!!!

2. Torben Mogensen

Superheroes never die ...

... permanently.

Granted, a few members of superhero groups have died permanently (or, rather, they haven't been resurrected yet), but superheroes with long-running solo-titles and high name recognition are never gone for very long.

It has happened, though, that the person behind the mask has changed. Even Batman was for a while someone other than Bruce Wayne. So a possibility is that they will (more or less permanently) kill Bruce Wayne and have someone else take up the uniform and name after a suitable time, with DC announcing The All New Batman, Like You Have Never Seen Him Before.

Additionally, both Marvel and DC are known for occasionally making "resets", where they write off all that has happened before, starting all their titles over from scratch. So after killing a suitable number of heroes, they may announce The All New DC Universe, Like You Have Never Seen It Before.

In other words: Yawn, what else is new?

3. Dave
    Coat

Check the month!

Of course, if he pops his clogs in the April edition, it's all just a big joke.

4. Mark Broadhurst
    Paris Hilton

Captain America

isnt this just a copy of marvel killing off Captain America last year ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Nooooooo!!!!

They can't kill off the Dark Knight... when the graphic novels have him fighting crime in Gotham as an OAP.

Mine's the cape and the cowl....

6. Peter Kay

Not again...

I'm not sure Batman needs to die, although, admittedly the return of Superman was actually quite good - as far as Superman stories go (The return of Green Arrow was a fun story, but completely ridiculous, and Green Lantern's return stretched credibility almost as much).

Can't some people just stay alive?

At some point, Batman probably does need to retire or die, and be replaced (probably by Dick Grayson) by someone who isn't emotionally crippled and can actually form long term relationships... whilst strapping on rubber/neoprene at night and beating up other men. Never mind..

To try and not get too fan nerdy though - please no more commissioner's wife or female Batman sidekick deaths - it's lazy plotting and somewhat misogynist.

7. Feef Lovecraft

I am Batman, no more.

I can see Bruce Wayne being killed off, there's a bunch of folks more then willing to don the cape and cowl.

John Constantine could even come along and fill the role for a while, would beat Marvel's The Punisher pretending to be Captain America for sure

8. Alex
    Gates Halo

A new Batman?

Well it's time for batman of the future. Qualifications are rich, smart, gadgets everywhere, big mansion.

Come on guys, you know who it's going to be (hint see picture). Yes it's MS Batman!, and hopefully he will lock up i-pod users by the dozen for crimes commited again'st humanity (string 'em up by with their pathetic "please don't mug me" white wires.....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Canonical?

So he gets a back broken... and returns.

He retires... and returns.

At what point in his already stretched career is he going to die? (And then return.)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

One step further

DC has done something like this before, with a super villan called Bane. Who "Broke the Bat"

Leading to someone called Jean Paul Valley taking over the cape.

see Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bane_(comics)

Interested to see how they actually kill the Bat. As to do that would mean killing Dick Grason and anyone else who could take over the mantle of the Batman.

/annorak

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

To rise from the grave as vampire Batman ?

12. Stuart Lauder

@ Mark Broadhurst

Isn't that in return a copy of DC killing Superman years ago? Which in return was a copy of Marvel killing Captain Marvel before that? Which in return was.....

You get the idea.

13. Kevin Campbell
    Go

@Peter and Alex

did you ever see the cartoon "Batman Beyond"? In that universe, Bruce Wayne is a retiree who, after a strange set of circumstances, takes on a teenage martial artist as his "replacement." The kid has the "new" Bat suit complete with rocket boosters, loads of hyper-groovy sensors, and even a "stealth" mode where he becomes more or less invisible a la Predator.

Perhaps DC who, IIRC, "sanctioned" that cartoon is taking it to comic form. There has also been talk of a Batman Beyond movie. Perhaps this is the first step in that direction. In the pilot episode of Batman Beyond, an aging Bruce Wayne (in the aforementioned "new" Bat suit) is forced to defend himself with a gun because his age had finally caught up with him. Having previously stated that he would never use a gun, he decides it's time to hang up the cape. Fast forward several years and along comes the kid. yada yada yada good story.

I could be all wet, but the dominos seems to align rather well.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Nobody stays dead...

...in the comics, except Gwen Stacy, Uncle Ben and Jason Todd, it has been famously noted by smarter readers than I.

But at least they are killing a male character for a change: http://www.unheardtaunts.com/wir/

15. Matt
    Thumb Down

Dumb

Instead of killing and reviving superheros, just let them retire.

Invent a new superhero. With new powers. And new villains.

But, I guess I can see the problem. What new powers does one bestow on these characters that hasn't already been done before?

16. Damian Gabriel Moran
    Coat

they could go for the Dallas option

where it was all a dream!

the purple jacket with the acid spraying flower please

17. Karim Bourouba

canon

there are a number of batman timelines that are considered canon, such as the dark night returns etc.

Stopping Brucey from being Batman now would need some serious justification for the more geekier fans.

At the end of the day, there are loads of different permuatations to cater for all future Batman films/series/comics/graphic novels/lunchboxes/commerative dog blankets/hand crafted gifts and cross stich designs.

18. blue
    Pirate

nothing to see here

tried and tested method innit. comic geeks love it, the media love it for some reason, i guess because it's an easy story and everyone's heard of batman, and bizarrely people who never buy comics buy the comics.

19. fluffy

Think of the canon!

We already know Bruce Wayne (or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof) lives well into the 21st century, as he is the doddering old mentor to a new Batman, Terry McGinnis.

20. Seanie Ryan
    Joke

irony?

"Green Lantern's return stretched credibility almost as much"

funny to read that in a thread that is discussing fictional characters with

(usually) non-terrestrial powers.

>> The Green Lantern is credible enough, but for him to return?... nah..

bit too far fetched for me<<

:-p

anyway, everyone knows I am the true Batman

anyone remember the line in South Park, return of Chef

"And he lived for eternity .... until he was hit by a train in 1892"

or something like that...

21. Dave Bell
    Coat

In the 21st Century, everything changes.

Why not Captain Jack Harkness?

22. Adrian Esdaile
    Coat

Two words.

ZOMBIE BATMAN.

How cool is that?

OK, that was six words. Thirteen now.

23. J
    Joke

Hmm...

Batman R.I.P. is the title... and they say people are going to be shocked? Unless the title is a lie! They would NEVER do that (lie), of course...

24. Mike Moyle
    Coat

Re: Nobody stays dead...

"...in the comics, except Gwen Stacy, Uncle Ben and Jason Todd, it has been famously noted by smarter readers than I."

...and Jason is back...

(sad, really...)

25. TheHempKnight
    Pirate

Bad timing?

Is it not bad timing to kill off Batman when the guy playing the Joker in the imminent Batman movie has just died himself?

26. Mr Larrington
    IT Angle

And?

Lawnmowers For Heroes, Comics For Zeros, as the poet sang.

27. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

@Alex: MS Batman...

wouldn't he crash a lot

(AKA sir Crashalot?)

28. Rob Holmes

@ Matt

"But, I guess I can see the problem. What new powers does one bestow on these characters that hasn't already been done before?"

I submit the characters Wonderboy and Young Nasty Man to the house!

As for powers? Well, how about the power of flight? That do anything for you? Thats levitation, homes! Or how about the power to kill a Yak? From two hundred yards away? With MIND BULLETTS?!?

Or, you know, whatever floats your boat.

29. J

been done before....

Batman was killed off in one storyline in the late 1960's and replaced by his doppelganger from a parallel universive

30. Bob

Yeah...

...but Adam West's is still alive which renders all of this unimportant

31. Ash
    Pirate

Next Batman should be...

Lobo.

"Fight crime? No. I'm going to kick the shit out of puppies and drop a deuce on your nan's car. Then punt Santa into the sun."

I don't know if he'd do that, but he's just about awesome enough to get away with it.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

RE: Nobody stays dead

"...in the comics, except Gwen Stacy, Uncle Ben and Jason Todd, it has been famously noted by smarter readers than I."

Jason Todd has been revived. Indeed, many have suggested that he might take over as Batman if DC did kill him off. Gwen Stacy nearly got brought back this year and a last minute editorial swerve reversed directions. Uncle Ben has been brought back and killed off loads of times.

Only Bucky stays dead. Except he got revived too and is Captain America now.

Anyway, hasn't this whole Batman being killed off story been debunked already? There's some suggestion it was the original plan (though "killing him" was going to mean ascending him to being a New God, meaning he'd still be around and could fight Darkseid in the upcoming Final Crisis, which isn't really "killing" a character off), but Warner have pointed out they have a new Batman film coming out this year, so this isn't happening.

33. Steve-SCB
    Black Helicopters

Underpant perverts persist

This is just more soap.

In (whatever time duration the accountants dictate) the poor old guy will wake up in the shower and find it was all a dream, but such a good dream he could actually be the Bat Man! OooEeerr, da da da da - da da da da

Bat Copter Icon, cuz its the right color

34. Chris Cheale

Actually...

Look up Batman & Dracula: Red Rain.

If memory serves, at the end, despite beating "Dracula", Batman himself has become a vampire - so he's already dead. Vampire Batman gets my vote - just like Batman but just every so slightly more evil, stronger and harder to kill... Wayne Industries would have to invest in some serious sun block research however.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@Chris Cheale

"just like Batman but just every so slightly more evil, stronger and harder to kill"

Ah! Emo Bat Man then. Here we go again

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I for one...

...welcome our new Bat-Lobo overlod.

That would get me into collecting comics again.

This topic is closed for new posts.