back to article Sprinting towards a WiMAX future

Sprint Nextel is on schedule to launch its WiMAX service at the end of April, but won't be subsidising devices or requiring long-term contracts. Chief technology office Barry West, speaking at CES in Las Vegas this week, rejected a direct device subsidy. But he did moot the idea of incorporating WiMAX access into the cost of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Wade Burchette
    Alert

Sprint sucks

Sprint cannot even do 1G right. Why should I trust them to do WiMAX right? Nobody drops more calls than Sprint. Nobody is harder to contact than a customer with a Sprint mobile phone. Nobody is more frustrated than a person talking a Sprint customer rep. There reps are downright rude to you. And when Spring does VoIP, it costs 50% more than their competition yet delivers inferior service. Sprint cannot do anything right. So instead of trying something new, Sprint should get what they have right first. After all, if I cannot trust you do the easier stuff, why can I trust you to do harder stuff?

2. MrGutts
    Dead Vulture

Amen Wade

Wade hit it on the head.

I am really shocked Sprint is still not on that bandwagon with the marketing saying that there EVDO network is WiMax hahah. The sad thing is the EVDO rev a network will be the same speed as this so called throttled/crippled down WiMax network with tons of proxies servers behind it not to mention they will doing what ATT is going to do and that is traffic shape.

That is if it works..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

WiMAX is not Even 4G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFS will someone stop Sprint (and others) from talking about WiMAX and calling it 4G!!

In 3GPP-land, LTE ("3.9G")has requirements to deliver >100Mbps and will probably deliver in excess of 300Mbps by 2010. 4G is targetting >1000 Mbps peak bit-rates.

Motorola demo'd WiMAX late last year as a 4Mbps/1Mbps pre-commercial system (you can get close to that with HSPA on Vodafone today), and it's eventual aims are ~70Mbps, so 4G it aint.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like