back to article Brazil keeps Cisco execs in big house

A Brazilian judge has ruled that six people connected with Cisco must stay in temporary custody while tax fraud allegations against the networking giant are investigated. Three other people have also been imprisoned, according to the FT. Police raids in mid-October saw 40 people arrested following police and tax raids; these …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

800m tax on 500m kit???

How was the gov going to pull in $800m tax on $500m worth of kit? Is sales tax 160% in that area?

Frank

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

taxes

"... Is sales tax 160% in that area?... "

Don't know about sales or VAT, but I'm sure import duties are pretty stiff ...

Welcome to South America !!

Jr

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

taxes and fines

From what I gather it's that high minus whatever for the fines but it's SOP to not pay them, no one said they couldn't get caught. If you can't do business legally don't do business.

4. anthony bingham

Do it all through a "middle man" and shower regularly = smell sweet !

I am certain the Brazilian guy was Pedro Ripoff and the meddle ... sorry ...middle men are used precisely to negotiate the gloriously tangled Brazilian bureaucracy that can choke any foreign system and eventually Scew it ! I speak from experience with a major american oil company, so if in Rome ( read Brazil ) do the Romans !

This topic is closed for new posts.